Chapter 10 - Rivals

A/N: What will happen when earth meets fire? Ahem, look forward to the next chapter lol.

-----------------------------

(Ming's POV)

I feel like something bad is going to happen. Argh, why do I have to study in a different faculty? I should focus on the orientation but I can't shake off the feeling that something is happening.

"Hey."

"Oh, P'Forth." I give a wai to him.

"What are you daydreaming about? Focus."

I am currently at the faculty of engineering with other freshman students. There is a tournament coming soon for the new students, Wizards Rumble. We are going to compete with the students from other universities. Each university in the neutral lands will have to send two freshman students to enter the tournament.

To be the delegates, the students can be recommended by the last year's winners. Another way to get chosen as a delegate is to challenge one of the last year's top three and win the battle. Two winners from last year's tournament are from our university.

The first place was Phana from medicine faculty.

The first runner up was Forth from engineering faculty.

I will have to challenge one of those two if I want to be the next delegate. I don't think I can take on the last year's champion so I think I'll need to challenge P'Forth. I don't like him anyway, I am sure I can fight him without holding back.

We are going to medicine faculty after this. I am sure I will get to meet that Phana in person. I wonder how the champion from last year looks like, he must be really strong to be able to beat all the participants from last year's tournament.

University is not that different from high school, but I think people are somehow less restricted to rules here. The only rules specified in this university are about the use of magic and the norms about it. We are not supposed to talk about our elements here, regardless of the reason. We are able to use our elemental magic but only under certain conditions, so not all people show their elemental magic here. Even in the competition, Wizards Rumble, we can choose not to use elemental magic at all.

I heard that Phana, the last year's champion didn't use his elemental magic at the tournament.

That is awesome, because neutral magic is the weakest type of magic. I don't know how strong he is if he could win the tournament just with that.

No matter how strong he is, I am pretty sure that I am just as strong and I will win this year's tournament.

"Hey, N'Ming." He comes to me with a bottle of water.

"What is it, P'Forth? Trying to score some points with me so you can hit on Yo?"

Before going to the medicine faculty, we have a break for around twenty minutes. P'Forth comes to me and gives me the bottle. I can totally see what he is trying to do here. He is not trying to have a good relationship with me, he is trying to make me a stepping stone to get Yo.

"How bold can you be? Am I really not that good for your brother, N'Ming?"

"Now who is bolder? You might be a nice person, but I won't let some stranger flirt with my brother."

"Oh? Then how can that stranger stop being a stranger if he is not allowed to flirt nor talk with your brother?"

"I don't care."

"Can't you give me a chance to get close to him, at all? I mean, if he really is not interested in me, I'll back off. I promise."

"Why should I help you?"

"Then you'd prefer I get closer to him without your help and your awareness? You'd prefer I hit on your brother behind your back?"

"Definitely no!"

"Then, let me try to be friends with him first. How about a dinner tonight? I am inviting both of you. There is a good hotpot restaurant near our dorm."

"Okay, if you want to be his friend then I won't stop you. Remember, friends."

"Yes, I know I know. Thanks for the chance, N'Ming."

Huh! I believe Yo will not fall for this guy. I have known Yo since we were babies so I can tell that Forth is not his type. He might fall for guys but definitely not P'Forth. Wait a second, why would I think that Yo will fall for guys?

(Forth's POV)

Okay, step one is clear. I get a yes for dinner invitation. I want to spend time just with Yo but I guess I won't be able to do that. He has a really protective brother who has a brother complex. It's good though, this is interesting.

I am not just into girls, I am also into cute guys. I haven't fallen for anyone in a while. That's why I am quite excited about courting that boy.

Break is almost over. We are going to take a tour around medicine faculty, so I guess I will meet Pha there. He is my biggest rival and my best drinking buddy. He won the first place of last year's Wizards Rumble and beat me with neutral magic. My water magic couldn't win against him. He is really strong.

Regardless of being rivals in the tournament, we spend a lot of time together during the camp and the tournament. Time to time, we will drink alcohol together at a nearby bar and compete in drinking. The first one who gets wasted is the loser. Sometimes he wins, sometimes I win.

When Pha is busy, I will invite his friends to replace him. His friend Beam loves to drink more than the other two, so I invite him even without the company of Pha and Kit sometimes.

"Okay, freshman students! Let's get ready to go to medicine faculty. Non-magis will pair up with casters to fly there." I say to all the new students who are sitting in front of me.

I am a water magic user, but I have to use neutral magic to fly like the others because the use of elemental magic is restricted here. I really wish the camp for participants of Wizards Rumble starts soon so I can use my water magic freely as I teach the new students about how to fight using magic.

When we arrive at medicine faculty, I see Pha smiling nonstop as he dazes off. What is wrong with him? He has never been like this before.

"Oi, Pha."

"......"

"Ai'Jerk!" I snap him out of his daydream by my water magic. I splash water magic to his face.

"What the fuck? Elemental magic is prohibited, Ai'Forth!"

"Let's just say I splash water to you, not magic. Why are you smiling like an idiot? Have you finally lost it?"

"Is it that obvious?"

"Too obvious. Can't you see how many girls from my faculty are drooling over your smiling face? Look at them. Look at these freshman students from engineering."

"Well, they are cute. But I am not interested in them right now."

"Huh? What are you talking about, Ai'Pha?"

"Well, I have something even more interesting than them, Ai'Forth. I am waiting for him to come here." He then continues dazing off.

Him? I didn't know he would fall for a guy. Well, none of my business. I don't know who he is referring to, but I bet he is freaking gorgeous. The most handsome guy in the university, the champion of last year's Wizards Rumble, is smiling like an idiot because he is waiting for another guy.

I can't imagine how pretty that guy is. He must be really gorgeous. But still, none of my business.