Chapter 4 - Fears

(Wayo's POV)

"Mom, dad, how was it?~" I hug my mom who is giving me a standing applause.

"You are the best pianist ever." She pokes my nose.

"Hehehe."

Well, it's not like I'm trying to act cute or anything. I simply love being spoiled by my parents. Ming always acts like an older brother because he is a few minutes older than me, so he never acts cute to our parents. He doesn't need to be too uptight about being older, though. 

Right! I almost forgot about something.

"Mom, Byakko is outside."

"Oh? Really? I want to talk to him, can you go to your brother and ask Byakko to link his mind to me?"

"Sure, mom!"

I walk down the stage then run to my brother who is talking with Byakko. Why are they so serious? When I get there, I believe Ming mention my name but stop talking right away when he sees me. Am I imagining things?

"Ming, mom wants to talk with Byakko."

"Sure. You heard him, Byakko?" Then Byakko nods.

Being able to maintain Byakko's physical form for more than an hour is not a joke. Ming is really powerful in magic and he has a lot of mana. I really want to test how much mana I have but I am going to be scolded by my family if I do. 

I go back inside the dining hall and take some food. When I sit near the table, there are some older guys than me who sit close to me. I don't really know how to talk with other people that I am not close to so I can only look down and be shy.

"Yo, are you really going to the neutral lands?" One of the guys asks me.

He tries to put his hand on top of mine, but I pull my hand away. I am faster.

"Why don't you just stay here in our territory?" Another one asks then places his arm around my shoulders.

Crack

I am pretty sure I hear something cracking, then I turn around to see Ming twisting the hand that was wrapped around me. The guys smile to me then run away from us.

"I can't leave you for a second, can I? Why don't you just tell them to go away, asshole Yo?"

"Well... they don't mean anything bad... they are just asking me but I don't reply so..."

"Sigh... just eat. I want to talk with dad, so stay here and call out to me if they come back."

"Okay~ I am not a little kid. I can handle myself."

"As if." He smacks my head lightly.

I think Ming is going to talk with dad about college. It's been the talk among clan members because both young masters of the clan are going to leave the territory. They don't have any problem with it but they don't think it's safe for us to go to neutral lands. Rumors have it that in neutral lands, there are extraordinary witches with strong mana that lurk on the lands. Some of them even study at schools and they have unknown intentions.

I believe they are just trying to scare me, because I get easily scared. But, Ming is there too so I don't have anything to be scared of. I am such a spoiled kid, aren't I? I can only depend on my brother when things get tough. I should start doing things on my own. I'll show Ming that I can adapt well in my faculty.

Dinner is good as usual, with varieties of food choices and desserts. After a while, Ming sits next to me then start eating. I feel sleepy after eating so I rest my head on my hand on the table, closing my eyes slowly.

Drip..

Drip....

Drip.....

I open my eyes then scream as I see darkness and hear the sound of rain. Why is it so dark? Who turns off the lights?

"Hey, hey. It's fine... It's fine..." It's Ming's voice.

"I-I am... scared... Ming.." He is hugging me tight and I finally realize I am already in my room.

"Calm down, it's just a blackout. The lights are going to go back soon."

Click

Just when he says that the electricity is going back, the lights turn on by themselves. I can't believe how much tears I let out just because I am in the dark and it's raining. I feel like I am having a bad dream but I can't remember what it is.

"W-Why... would there be a black... out.." I sob as I try to wipe my tears.

"They are trying to fix something. The lights are back. Calm down, asshole."

"Shut up... I have ... calmed down, already."

"Yeah, sure."

I release myself from his hug. Ming tells me that I woke up right when the lights turned off. I fell asleep in the dining hall so he brought me back here. It started raining and something was broken because of the water. When they were trying to fix it, there was a brief blackout and I suddenly woke up.

I am such a weakling.

"Do you think you can go back to sleep?"

"Of course, I am not a kid. Go back to your room, Ming."

"Huh?"

"I'll try to sleep by myself from now on. I don't want to be weak forever."

"Are you sure? Want me to summon a familiar?"

"No, please. Let me try to sleep on my own for the rest of the week. I want to be able to sleep at the dorm peacefully, I'll try my best."

"Sigh... if you say so. If you're scared, just come to my room okay? There is nothing wrong about it. Everyone has their own fears, and you should not feel weak just because you have one."

"You don't have anything you are scared of, easier said than done."

"I do have one, you just don't know what it is."

He gives me a dry smile. I have never seen that painful look on his face. Did I ask a sensitive topic? Oh well. I tell him to go away then he finally goes back to his room. I have a speaker in my room so I turn on the music and make it louder than the sound of rain. I feel a lot better as I listen to classic music, then I can finally go back to sleep.

I can't wait to go to neutral lands.

(Ming's POV)

I am hesitant to leave him alone in his room but he is really stubborn. He won't budge if he has decided on something, and I think that is a good thing sometimes. I believe he can overcome his fear one day. But, I don't think I can ever overcome mine.

The only thing I am scared of,

Is to see Yo breaks if he knows that we are not related by blood.