Part 7

Before Angel leaves, she gives me the number of her OBGYN, and I set a reminder on my phone to call for an appointment first thing Monday morning.

After she's gone, I spend a fair amount of time naked in front of the mirror. I had lost just over 40 lbs during my relationship with Prince, and since I have been back in Tennessee, maybe another 4 lbs. With my average frame and larger hips, thighs and butt, I would never be classified as thin. I look at myself in the mirror, my large pooch of a belly had disappeared over a year ago, although my stomach never really got flat, but as I turn and examine, I can't see any noticeable difference.

I place my hand on my stomach protectively, "Now you show up, Little One. Just like your daddy, you gonna play by your own set of rules, too?"

I step into the shower the first time since the hotel in Atlanta. I take my time bathing, and washing my hair, I even feel motivated to shave my legs before getting out. I pull on some clean jeans and a T-shirt, and return to the bathroom to fix my hair and makeup.

When I feel presentable, I grab my purse and car keys, I need some real food in this house instead of all the crap I've been eating. I get in my car and head to the grocery store.

I return home an hour later feeling exhausted, yet keyed up. I tried to remember some of the vegetarian recipes I had liked while I was at the store and bought some of the ingredients. I also bought a nice assortment of fresh fruits and vegetables. On a whim, I purchased a bottle of Prenatal vitamins, I figured it couldn't hurt to get started on them.

As I move around the kitchen putting the groceries away, I think how quickly I accepted the fact that I'm pregnant. I contemplate calling Prince to tell him, but I'm afraid he won't respond if I call again so quickly.

It's then that I think about the miscarriage, I'm JUST pregnant, what if I tell him and I lose it again? What if he doesn't care at all? Will he think I'm after child support? Then the question that scares the hell out of me, what if he files for sole custody?

I stop and chide myself when Prince's voice pops into my head, words I had heard so many times before, and so clear, that I actually look around to see if he's standing behind me, "Sugar, must you overthink everything?" He was always right about that, I close my eyes and take a deep cleansing breath, then focus my mind on preparing a decent dinner.

*******

Sunday morning I wake and feel more alive than I have in weeks, was it the brief encounter with Prince or is it because I know there's a new life growing inside me? I don't know, but it feels good that I want to do something other than lay in my bed.

I fix myself a quick omelette, but find I can only eat half before I feel a little nauseated, still it's better than nothing. First order of business, I take the time to hang all the clothing that are still in bags on my closet floor, then I go about tidying the house. I have the bedding removed and in the washing machine while I do some dusting and vacuuming. Angel and Marcus had left the house spotless, but I literally walked in the door and had done nothing since. The house comes around quickly, since I have only really occupied the bedroom upon my return.

Within two hours, the house looks better, the bed is remade, but I have a headache and feel exhausted. Too much, too soon, I think to myself as I grab a huge glass of water and step out onto the back porch. I groan when I look at the garden, I should have jumped right into maintenance when I arrived, I sigh, tomorrow's another day.

When I sit down and put my legs up, my cell rings, it's Angel. "Hey, kid," I answer.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" She's quick to ask.

"Well, I managed to be productive for a couple hours, now I'm beat."

"Get used to it," she laughs, "it gets worse."

"Great," I mumble.

"So you must have called him, huh?"

"No, why?" I'm confused by her assumption.

"Oh, he just Tweeted a dance party tonight at Paisley, didn't you hear?"

"No, Angel, I don't Tweet," I hesitate, "but that's good, right? That means he's definitely feeling better. I was going to call him later today, but now I'll wait, he'll have his hands full. I remember how crazy things got around there when he had a party, and, as far as I know, the only one there regularly anymore is Kirk, and maybe Ray."

"Wow," she says, because I had never mentioned all this to her. "Well, I just thought maybe it was because of some good news, too. I just wanted to check, I'll let you go, but if you need anything, just say the word."

"You may regret saying that," I laugh, "this garden is a mess," I joke.

Being the sweetheart Angel is, she says, "Anytime."

"Thank you, Angel, you're the best."

"I know," she laughs, "Take it easy."

We say our goodbyes and I sit on my back porch and ponder if there was a reason for the dance party, or he just felt like it. I shake my head, you never could tell with him.