Part 56

Anastasia's mild case of jaundice never becomes a cause for concern at the hospital, and she has lost any hint of yellow she had had prior to our release. In the days that follow, I am eternally grateful for every bit of Tyka's help, and let her know repeatedly. "It's nothing, Honey," Tyka assures me as I struggle to keep my eyes open for any length of time, "You're family."

In the weeks following, even though I'm still thoroughly exhausted, some semblance of a routine starts to form, slowly leaving me a little less dependent on Tyka's constant help.

Angel stops by the house a couple of times in the first week to check on us, but with work, Derik, and her own progressing pregnancy, I ask her to call to check on me instead. She willingly nods in agreement, looking as tired and drawn as I know I do. This whole pregnancy/motherhood thing is definitely not for sissies, I think to myself.

The days morph into weeks and before I know it, Christmas is upon us, yet Tyka shows no indication of preparing to leave. "Isn't Reece and your boys missing you?" I ask her on Christmas Day, which, after my time with Prince, seems like just another day to me.

"Yes," she had nodded sadly, "And I miss them, too, but they understand you need me here. Plus, I couldn't let you go through the holidays alone."

The holidays really don't affect me one way or another. "It's been over a month, Tyka, you can't continue to put your life on hold for us," I say gently. I'm still uneasy with how tired I am all the time, but I know this is just how it's going to be, and that eventually I'll be fine.

After my four week check up, Tyka slowly relinquishes more of her assistance, but stays ready to help if she sees I need her. I smile when I realize what she's doing, preparing me to return to my usual, independent ways.

Only on the night of Anastasia's six week checkup, does the topic of her returning to Minnesota casually arise. "I suppose it's time for me to think about going home," she says as she helps me clear the dinner table.

I smile at her, "Whenever you're ready," I tell her. "You know I appreciate having you here and all you've done to help, but I know you have your own life."

She nods quietly, "That I do, and you, yours," she softly. She then lets out a big sigh, "Actually, I could tell you were going to be okay on your own about a week ago, but I wasn't ready, yet." I nod slowly and smile as I transfer the dirty dishes into the dishwasher. "Dana?" Tyka hesitates waiting for me look at her. "You know you don't have to do all this alone," her eyes plead with me in an unspoken question.

I take a calming breath, "Yes, I do," I say, averting my eyes, hoping to fight back the tears before she sees them. I really have no choice, I think.

Tyka places her hand on my shoulder, peering at me while I keep myself busy with the dishes. "Stubborn, and strong-willed," she whispers, before she makes a sound somewhere between a chuckle and a huff, "just like my brother." Little does she know, I consider this comment a compliment.

When I meet her eyes again, there's a hint of determination in them that reminds me of Prince when he had wanted me certain things only his way. I do like I had done with him, choosing my words carefully, and speaking softly, hoping for the same consideration to my needs. I let her know I'm not folding, "Tyka, I'm sorry, I'm not moving back to Minnesota."

There's only a fraction of change to her expression, just like her brother, I think. I watch as acceptance replaces the determination in her eyes. Then I catch the split second of sadness that passes through. "But you will visit?" Now, her eyes are direct.

"Yes," I smile, "we will visit," I say as sincerely as I can.

"No driving!" she points at me like I've seen her instruct her boys.

I let out an exaggerated sigh, "O-kay," I say reluctantly before I smile.

A huge grin spreads across her face and I'm pulled into a tight embrace that gets cut short when Anastasia starts to fuss. "Go," Tyka releases me, "I'll finish with this."

*******

It's just a couple days shy of February when Tyka stands reluctantly beside her rental car. "I never thought it would be so hard to leave," she confesses as she leans in to kiss Anastasia for the millionth time. "Maybe I could move down here," she laughs, "I could get used to this weather."

I smile and nod, knowing that she's stalling. "That's why I'm back here," I admit.

I watch her take a deep breath, "Okay," she sighs, planting a kiss on my cheek and another for the baby. "Bye," she says quickly and bolts for the car. Once inside, she backs out of the garage, with another quick wave, and a deep breath, she puts the car into drive, soon to disappear down the driveway.

"It's just you and me, Kid," I smile down at Anastasia. She peeks at me with her sleepy eyes when she hears the garage door come to life, and we head back into the house. Alone.