Part 49

Our Saturday afternoon is spent with Marcus, Angel, and Derik.  Tyka seems to be just as at-ease as I am among their little, but soon to be growing, family.  Their house is cozy, despite the fact that it's double the size of mine, and we mostly linger between the living room and the back patio while the sun is out in full force. 

When Marcus and Derik go out to prepare the grill, I take the opportunity to talk to Angel about Tyka's offer to stay with me for a bit after the baby is born.  I had feared Angel's reaction, but that soon dissipates when a see a flash of relief cross her face.  "Thank you, Tyka," Angel breathes, but then she catches herself as a look of surprise crosses my face. 

"I hadn't planned on being pregnant, I forgot how exhausting it is. I would have never retracted my offer, but I honestly don't know how much of a help I would've been," she admits.

"Well, and to be honest myself, I hope I don't need that much help.  You know I don't like to be a burden on people.  Angel, I already can't thank you enough for everything you've done so far," I say.  "You're sure you're okay with this?"

Angel grins and nods as she pulls her feet up onto the couch and relaxes, she's true to her invite and still wearing her pajamas.  Tyka smiles at me, I can tell we're both happy that the small discussion went so smoothly, I know neither woman wanted to step on the other's toes.  I sit unceremoniously splayed out in the recliner, in very pregnant fashion, and breathe a sigh of relaxed relief knowing that everything is coming together without much effort.  "Now, if I could just be done with this," I look down at my huge belly.  31-21.  Both Angel and Tyka catch me look off to my right, where I swore I heard the whisper. 

While Angel looks at me puzzled, Tyka has a knowing look, "My brother?"  she grins. 

My eyes travel back and forth between the two women, and I barely nod my head.  How much do I tell?  They're going to commit me! These thoughts run through my head as Tyka raises her eyebrows waiting for information.  "I'm not crazy, I swear," I tell them, but pause as Marcus and Derik enter the black door.  They pass through to the kitchen, only to return carrying the prepared meat for the barbecue. 

As soon as the door closes, Tyka can wait no longer, "What did he tell you?"

I shake my head with a frown, "31-21.  Does that mean anything to you?"  When Tyka frowns with thought and shakes her head, I flop my head back onto the recliner in frustration.  "Ugh, that man," I grumble. 

Angel is still reclined on the couch, but her face registers complete interest as we discuss this phenomenon.  Tyka laughs, "You know he loved riddles," she reminds me. 

"He's, I know," I breathe in exasperation.  "Has he made himself known to you, too?" I ask Tyka. 

A sheepish grin covers her face and says thoughtfully, "A couple times."  After a quick glance at Angel, Tyka looks back at me, "You know the house that you  decided to go with up there?" I nod with a frown.  Tyka continues, "Well, I didn't know anything about that one, but the address kinda popped into my mind when I was contacting the lawyers."

Holy crap! I think as my eyes glaze over in disbelief.  I hear Angel whisper, "Wow!"

"Actually, I had planned to fly down next week," Tyka shares, "but he came to me in a dream and told me that I would be too late, that I needed to come down now."

"When were you planning on coming?" I ask, curious to know my possible delivery time frame.

"Thursday, the fifteenth," Tyka says softly. 

Angel and I look at each other. "That's only four days," I quickly figure.  "Is that possible?"

Angel nods, "You have dropped."

"Have I?" I ask, clueless.

Tyka nods, "Yeah, you're pretty low."

Marcus pops open the back door, "Not much longer, ladies." 

The statement is oddly appropriate, although we know he's talking about dinner.  We pull ourselves from the odd conversation and hurry to prepare the table and set out the side dishes that Tyka and I had brought to go along with the barbecue. 

Derik comes running into the kitchen first, "Aunt Dana, will you sit by me?"

"Of course," I laugh.

The dinner is delicious and the conversation comfortable, good food and friends.  In the back of my mind, though, I can't help but ponder the possibility of going into labor in just a matter of days. 

On the ride home, Tyka still contemplates the 31-21 possibilities, but I have given up on trying to figure it out.  It may make sense later, but right now it's just frustrating to me.  Instead we turn our discussion to my obstetricians appointment tomorrow, Tyka is visibly excited to be going with me, grinning from ear to ear.