Part 55

Later in the afternoon, Angel arrives at the hospital with both Marcus and Derik in tow.  Derik is immediately drawn to and entranced by the tiny sleeping bundle in my arms.

"She's so little," he whispers, his face just inches from hers. His breath catches and his eyes get big when she shifts and grunts in her sleep.  He covers his mouth, afraid that his whisper is what bothered her, then smiles when she stills.  "Can I hold her?" he asks. 

Angel responds before I do, "No, Derik, she's brand new and really fragile

Angel responds before I do, "No, Derik, she's brand new and really fragile.  Later, when she's bigger and stronger, I'm sure Aunt Dana will let you hold her."

I smile and nod, breathing out a sigh of relief for her quick answer.  Then I look up at Angel, knit my brows, and mouth the question, "Does he know yet?"

She shakes her head, I nod again, I understand her need to wait, especially with a curious child.  Angel turns, looking at all the flowers, "I'm sorry, we never thought to send..." she stops when she sees me shaking my head. 

"That's quite alright Angel, you were here, that's all I wanted," I confide truthfully. 

Angel takes a seat in a chair near Tyka, smiling as she reads her shirt.  Marcus stands politely with that alert stance that I had grown so accustomed to when I was entrusted to him.  Derik climbs up on the bed to sit next to me, watching Anastasia sleep. 

As I look around the room, taking in everyone present, the flower arrangements, and the calm, loved feeling radiating around me, my eyes fill with tears.  Tyka is out of her chair and at the head of my bed, "Honey, what wrong?"

"You guys....I love you guys," I sniff, tears start to stream down my face.

Concerned glances are passed and some nervous laughter as Tyka leans in and presses her cheek to mine, "We love you, too, but, Honey, don't cry, okay?" 

I nod, trying to overcome my emotional outburst, when Derik nestles his head against my arm, "I love you, too, Aunt Dana."  All bets are off on controlling my tears at that point, so I let them flow.  Oh, Prince, I think to myself, you should be here with all of us.

*******

Marcus, Angel and Derik only stay for a little while, where Tyka resumes her role as surrogate helper through the remainder of the day.  When the sun starts to set, I turn my attention from Anastasia, as she feeds, asking Tyka, "Are you going to be comfortable driving in the dark?"

"Oh, I forgot to say something, didn't I?  I got a room for the night at the hotel just down the road.  I couldn't see me going all the way back to your house again tonight.  And, hopefully, they'll release you both at a decent time tomorrow," Tyka shares. 

"That's actually a great idea," I think out loud, before I remember, "but I'll need the infant carrier to get her home."

"Covered," she laughs, "I drove your car today," she says sheepishly. 

"Oh, good," I breathe a sigh of relief as I watch Tyka settle back into the chair that seems to be her favorite.