Part 54

Tyka only stays a few more hours with me at the hospital, up until early evening. She's not comfortable, or familiar, with the drive to my house, especially to be doing it in the dark.  The whole time she stayed, though, she pitched in to help change Anastasia after her feedings, and would then read quietly while we napped.  Even, as a safety precaution, for some mild lightheadedness I'm experiencing, she stood outside the bathroom door while I changed into the pajamas I had brought with me. 

Now that it's time to leave, Tyka hesitates at the foot of my bed, her gaze travels back and forth between me and Anastasia in the nearby bassinet. 

I look at her sadly, "I'm sure it could be arranged for you to spend the night, but I know you'll get a better nights rest at my house."

"You're right, I will," she sighs, "I'll be back in the morning, okay?"

I smile and nod, trying not to make it too obvious how much I just want to get back to sleep. "You've got all my keys, right?" I verify with her again, stifling another yawn.

"Yes, and I'll bring your phone charger tomorrow.  Remember to call me if you need anything else."  She finally makes her way to the head of the bed to hug me, and surprises me with a kiss on the cheek.  "Thank you for my beautiful niece," she whispers as tears fill her eyes. 

My own eyes tear up in response, "You're welcome, but, remember, I'm only half of this equation."

"I know, that's what makes her so special.  Our own little Ana Starr," she breathes.  She just loved the story and the nickname when I had told her about Derik changing the words to Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.   She smiles and waves over her shoulder one last time before she strides out of the room determinedly, I know it has to be hard for her to leave us.  

The remainder of the night and through the early morning, I nap, feed, and repeat.  This is insane, I think by morning, I'm still exhausted.  How can someone actually survive on only these little catnaps?  At one point when a nurse comes to check on me, I ask her just that. 

"The in-between feeding intervals will get longer when you start to produce more milk," she assures me.  "We can bring her down to the nursery if you like, so you can get more rest," she offers. 

The thought of her being taken from my sight is incomprehensible, "No, that'll be fine," I refuse quickly, "I need to get used to all this." 

Shortly after daylight and while I'm eating my breakfast, the first of several large floral arrangements start to arrive. The first one being from Kim, an adorable little lamb on a stringed cart, topped with a flourish of pink and white flowers.  The next one arrives in hues of blue and purple, complete with a white teddy bear in a gold lame dress, this one from Kirk.  Another pink and white arrangement in a glass vase from Monica soon follows.  Just when I thought they were done, a white teddy bear in a gray wicker basket arrives with the purest white roses I had ever seen, I smile when I read it's from Ray.  Awww, I think, my extended family. 

I have just finished feeding and changing Anastasia when Tyka walks in with a gasp, "Oh, look at all these flowers!" She spins taking in the arrangements, "They've sent you a garden

I have just finished feeding and changing Anastasia when Tyka walks in with a gasp, "Oh, look at all these flowers!" She spins taking in the arrangements, "They've sent you a garden." 

I smile as I nod, but bust out into a laugh when I read her shirt:  I can't keep calm, I'm finally an AUNT! I point to her shirt, "Thats cute!"  I gingerly make my way back to the bed and lay down.  She sets down a pink and white polka dotted bag beside me on the bed, she's grinning ear to ear.  "What's this?"

"Just a little something," she pushes up her glasses. 

"Tyka, you didn't have to do this."

"Open it," she says, giddy with excitement. 

"Thank you,"  I whisper as I reach inside the bag. The first item I pull out is a onesie that reads: Don't mess with me, 'cuz my Aunt DON'T PLAY!

"Oh, no!" I laugh, "I love it!"  When I reach into the bag again, my fingers make contact with a decadent softness, "Oh!"  I pull out a pretty, plush, purple-lined baby blanket that is decorated with butterflies on the equally soft, short-napped outer fleece.  I rub the blanket against my face, "It's so soft!  Thank you, Tyka, I know she's going to love this."

"You're welcome, Honey," she moves up to give me another hug and to collect the items back into the bag

"You're welcome, Honey," she moves up to give me another hug and to collect the items back into the bag.  "Now, it's time for you to rest," she sets the gift bag out of the way on the floor, then removes her purse from her shoulder. Digging inside she flashes a book in my direction, indicating she's prepared, then retrieves my phone charger.  Crossing the room again, she connects my phone to the cable and plugs it in.

"I feel bad, you just got here," I say as I shift down onto the hospital bed.

Tyka frowns at me and presses her long index finger against her lips in a hush signal. "Get some rest," followed by a wink, she sits in the chair and opens her book.  My eyes manage to blink twice more before I drift off to sleep.