Part 24

I pull up in front of Tyka's house just a little before noon, I haven't even removed my key from the ignition and she's already standing on the front step. She meets me halfway down the walk and pulls me into that familiar tight hug, when I pull away she sees my tears, "Are you okay?" she strokes my arms while her eyes examine mine.

I take a shaky breath, "Yeah," I shake my head, and sigh, "Your hugs feel like Prince's did."

She laughs, "We're squeezers. Come on."

I'm lead by the arm up the walkway and into the house, where I lose control of holding back my tears. Tyka has managed to gather Kim, Ray, Kirk, and Monica for my visit, and I'm pulled into a tight hug by each one. Kim waits until last for the hug, then I'm held out at arms length as her eyes travel down to my abdomen, an eyebrow raises, "Tyka said she had a huge surprise, and I thought it was you, but now I'm not so sure."

I look worriedly at Tyka, and she gives the slightest nod, I take a deep breath, "I'm four months pregnant," I announce. Monica and Kim instantly start wiping away tears, while the men look on with teary eyes, even to them the announcement is bittersweet.

After a round of congratulations, we all sit and reminisce about about the happy and funny times with Prince. Monica asks, "Do you know if it's going to be a boy or a girl?"

"A girl," I confirm sadly.

Kim makes a face at me I've seen before and I laugh, "I know, I know, pick my chin up."

She laughs, "You got it! When are you due?"

"December 13," I smile, and the group nods, they're all happy and sad just like I am.

"You coming back to Minnesota?" Kim questions.

I shake my head, "No."

Everyone looks confused, but Tyka speaks up, "I'm working on it, guys."

Again I shake my head, "I think it would be better if I wasn't here, privacy wise. I don't want people nosing around trying to figure out if this is Prince's child or not. I had only been bothered by paparazzi and news people for the first week, it's been quiet since."

They all nod, but Ray speaks up, "Don't be a stranger, we all want to be part of this little girl's life, like Prince was to our families."

I nod, "I'll be up, I promise."

"I know where you live!" Kim announces, making us all laugh.

"Me, too," Kirk adds, "So, there's no hiding from us."

"I wouldn't try." I laugh, "So, you guys remember that when it's cold, you can come on down anytime."

We all move to the backyard where we sit down and talk while Ray fires up the grill and cooks up some delicious barbecue for all of us. There's a comfort to this gathering, the laughter and the food. I smile as I look around at my extended family, but fight back the tears for the one that's missing. Tyka notices and places her hand on my arm, "Honey, he's here, he'll always be here."

I nod silently, then whisper, "I know."