Part 9

Tuesday morning I get out into the garden first thing, it's sunny and warm, and the weeds are in full swing. I had already spent over an hour pruning back trees and bushes and now I'm crawling between flowers and pulling weeds when I see Marcus's car fly up my driveway faster than he ever has. .

I stop what I'm doing and crawl off the ground, as soon as the car had stopped, Angel is out of the passenger's side and walking toward me, she looks wary. Marcus is not far behind her and his face is a mixture of emotions as well. Derik, who is unbothered, runs to throw his arms around my hips, "Aunt Dana!" he's getting so big, I think to myself.

I absentmindedly stroke Derik's back as I ask Marcus, "So, what brings you guys flying up my driveway on two wheels?"

Angel and Marcus look at each other, I can tell whatever this is, it's serious. Marcus calls for Derik then lifts him, carrying him halfway back towards the car. I watch as he stands holding him, then look back at Angel, "What's going on?"

Angel stares at me, she looks sad and worried, "Come here," she says as she steps up into the back porch and sits, I follow her lead. When we're seated, she asks, "Have you talked to Prince?"

"Yes, yesterday, why?"

"Good," she looks at her hands, "What did he say, I mean did he sound okay?"

"He sounded fine. He said he knew I was pregnant that night in Atlanta, that he could see it in my eyes. You know, typical Prince," when I laugh, she gulps.

"Did he seem happy about the baby?"

"No, he sounded sad, actually. Said something about 'the path was set,' and he always knew I'd be a great mother," I sigh, "Angel, I was hoping for more, to be honest."

Angel takes my hands, and when she notices I'm still wearing my wedding rings, she gasps and her eyes fill with tears, before she blurts out, "Dana, I'm so sorry."

Angel is full out sobbing at this point, tears fill my eyes in response to hers, but I'm left confused. Derik runs up and leaps into Angel's lap to console his mother.

Marcus places his hand on my shoulder, "Dana come with me," he opens the back door and we go into the house. He motions me to sit on the couch, and he starts to pace. He stops and sits beside me on the couch, "Dana, we didn't want you to find out from the news, and right now they're not officially confirming anything. Kirk called me personally, and asked if I could let you know as well, he thought you should know."

My eyes get big, "Is Prince back in the hospital?"

"No," Marcus sighs before placing his hands on my shoulders, "I'm sorry, but they found him....he....they were too late."

"Too late? Too late for what?"

"Dana, Prince is gone."

I stare at Marcus, he nods slowly. "No," I shake my head, "I just talked to him."

"I know," he says softly.

"He can't be, Marcus. I'm pregnant." Now I start to sob, but the instant those words came out of my mouth, his eyes get wide with surprise, Angel must not have mentioned it yet. I'm pulled into his big bear hug and I can hear him trying to fight back his grief, but it's too much. Marcus wasn't just an employee, Prince had a way of making everyone feel like family.

I overwhelmed with anguish, it was one thing to no longer be with Prince, but there was a comfort in knowing we were possibly gazing up at the same stars at night. When the back door opens, Angel quietly joins us on the couch, I'm enveloped in love, but I feel so alone. Derik joins in, and I gather that he's not been made privy to the information just yet, as he hugs and tries to soothe each one of us in turn.

Marcus asks, "Angel, do you want me to take Derik home for a while?"

Angel looks at me, "Would you like me to stay with you today, tonight?"

"No," I shake my head as I stare at nothing.

Marcus and Angel exchange glances, Marcus offers, "We have a spare bedroom, Dana, we would rather you not be alone right now."

Again, I shake me head, "I need to be."

More glances are exchanged, and Derik eyes me, when hold open my arms to him and he crawls into my lap where I rock him and sob while he pats my back softly. Marcus receives a few texts while they wait things out before leaving, each one seems to bother him more, but he doesn't share.

After several promises that I will be as okay as I can be, they reluctantly leave. Within minutes there are strange cars parking out front at the curb, and I can see camera lenses aimed at my house. I pull all the blinds closed and return to the bedroom where I climb into bed fully clothed to cry myself to sleep.