Part 23

I get a good night's sleep and wake early to get a decent head start on my first days drive. I had packed relatively lightly, and fixed a couple quick meals that I put into a cooler on the passenger side, knowing that any hotel I stop at is going to have a microwave. I toss some fruit and a baggie of cut vegetables within easy reach to nibble on while I drive, and set out.

About two hours into the drive, my phone rings, it's mama bear Angel, "Where are you?"

"Just got into Kentucky," I tell her.

"That's it?!" she sighs.

"Angel, it's only been two hours," I reassure her, "and I've made this trip several times before, it's just been a few years."

"Oookay," she's slightly upset because I sprung the trip on her, and she doesn't like the thought of me traveling alone. "You would have been there by now if you would have flown," she adds.

"Yes, I know, but I'm good, honest. When I get back we can go shopping for pretty baby-girl clothes," I offer to try to improve her grumpiness.

"I'm holding you to that. Call me when you stop for the night, okay?"

"Yes, Mom," I tease.

"Remember you are four months pregnant, don't drive tired."

I reach down and rub my tummy, "I won't."

We say our goodbyes, I crank up my radio, and enjoy the beautiful rocky Kentucky scenery.

I use the bathroom anytime I stop for gas, and I finally pull off the expressway right before dark to find a hotel for the night. I look for one of those chain hotels where I kind of know what to expect, and when I pull into the parking lot, I recognize this hotel as one I had stayed at before, many years ago. After I pay for the room, I return to the car to grab my cooler and overnight bag. When I let myself into the room all I want to do is eat, take a shower and crawl into bed, but I sit down and dial Angel's phone number before I forget.

When she answers, I jokingly say, "Honey, I'm home."

"Oh, thank God," she breathes a sigh of relief, "It's been twelve hours! Where are you?"

"Holiday Inn Express in Wausau, Wisconsin. Actually, it's been thirteen hours," I correct her.

"That's too much," she admonishes.

"I'm fine, but Angel, I am hungry and tired."

"I would say you are, get some rest tonight. How much further do you have?"

"Three hours," which will be nothing after today, I think.

We say goodnight and I call Tyka and let her know I only have a three hour drive left, she's excited to hear I'm so close. I agree to call her before I get too close, and warn her it might not be real early, she laughs, "No, problem, take your time, I'm not going anywhere."

With my check-in calls completed, I strip down and take a shower. I'm not in need of one, but the hot water streaming down my shoulders and back help soothe the tension from the long drive. In a nightie I had grown accustomed to wearing, I microwave one of my prepared meals. I sit staring at the television while I eat, but I'm not watching, in my mind I'm trying to prepare myself for seeing our home again.

I get almost nine hours sleep, but awake just in time to get dressed make my way down to the hotel lobby for the free continental breakfast. I choose an orange juice and decide, as a rare treat, to enjoy one of the fresh Belgian waffles that were being prepared as I entered. I know the waffle isn't really nutritious, but I couldn't resist the aroma coming from the waffle maker. After my waffle, I grab a granola bar, knowing it will come in handy for later, and head back to my room to get ready to go.

A quick fill up before I get back on the expressway and I figure that I should probably call Tyka about an hour before arriving. I still don't know where exactly she wants to meet, but I know I want to be alone when I step into our house. It doesn't take very long before I'm following the road signs for Minneapolis and I press a button on my steering wheel, "Call Tyka."

"Calling Tyka," the car repeats back to me and I hear the phones ringing come through my cars speakers.

"Hello?" she sounds sleepy.

"Tyka, hi. Did I wake you?"

"Oh, no, honey, I've been up. Where are you at?"

"Getting close to St. Paul."

"Wow! You're closer than I thought you would be," she laughs.

"Yeah, I've made good time. Is it okay if I meet you at your house?"

"Of course, we'll be expecting you, just be careful."

"I will, without a doubt," I tell her, we both know I'm carrying precious cargo.

We say our goodbyes and the call disconnects, my stomach flips from my nerves, but I've come too far to change my mind now.