Part 22

It takes me a little longer than I had planned to finish painting the nursery and recreating the design, but in the end, it turned out beautifully. Painting the lyrics were the hardest part, first, by choosing them, then the stenciling itself was horribly tedious in its own right.

Above where the crib is to be placed:

Could you be the most beautiful girl in the world?
It's plain to see you're the reason that God made a girl

On another wall:

I know U hear me
Like a whisper in Ur ear
U don't have to fear me
U'r everything I hold so dear

Over the door:

Beautiful, Loved and Blessed

The furniture arrives the next day and as the delivery men leave, I stand in the doorway of the room feeling a sense of accomplishment. For some reason I, compelled to take some pictures to send to Tyka, I start to second guess myself, but send the pictures anyway.

"It's beautiful!" is the text I receive back immediately. Then: "Are u busy?"

I let her know I am not, and the phone rings a moment later, "Girl, you did an amazing job on that nursery."

"Thank you, but I really wasn't looking for praise, I just wanted you to see it. I feel silly, like you don't have enough going on up there."

"Oh, no, I want to see these things. You and this baby are very important to me. When you think about it, this precious gift you are carrying is my last living link to my brother."

I fight back tears, I hadn't really thought about it that way, but it's kinda true. "You're going to get sick of me, then," I promise her.

"I doubt it," she laughs. "Hey, you know there's still a house up here," she starts.

"Tyka, I can't," my voice cracks.

"I'm sorry, it was worth a try," she says softly. "I just wish you were closer. Plus, it's so sad to think that beautiful house has been sitting just like you left it "

"It has?" I'm surprised. "I thought it might have been put on the market already."

"No," she sounds sad, "Prince had the cleaning women go through to tidy it up and throw away any food, but no one else has set foot in it."

"Prince never went home?" I ask.

"He said it wasn't his home unless you were there," she sighs.

I nod although she can't see me. "And that's why I can't go back," I confess.

"Well, do you think you could to maybe come up and remove anything personal from the house? That way it could be put up for sale, I would love to see it occupied."

"I-I guess I could, but anything personal left in there would be Prince's, plus I don't have the key anymore."

"I have the key, but not the alarm code," she says.

"I'll give you the code," I offer.

"This was your home, and I thought maybe you'd like to keep some of his things, for the baby."

"Oh, my, God, that's actually a great idea," I take a deep breath. "I have a few weeks before my next appointment, does it matter when I come up?"

"No, Honey, you have my number, call me and I can meet you with the key. Just try to stay for a few days, please, I miss seeing you around."

"Okay, it's a long drive, so I'll call when I get into town," I start plotting a trip.

"Drive?"

"Yeah, I hate planes," I explain.

"But you flew everywhere with Prince," she counters.

"With Prince, yes." We leave the conversation there, and she makes me promise to be careful, and to check in with her when I'm on my way.

I hang up the phone and call Angel to let her know my plans, and since I have no pressing commitments, I should be able to leave tomorrow. I set to work on getting the lawn mowed and some laundry done, then I can pack a bag and go.