Web of Lies | Peter Parker (TH)

requested by DR_COMICS

i have a history midterm i'm def gonna fail tomorrow and i cant really afford to fail bc i am already doing bad in that class so pray for me okay

//

You hated Spider-Man.

Well - you didn't hate him. You didn't hate anybody. Every bad person had a reason for being bad. Not that Spider-Man was bad, because he wasn't, but he seriously got on your nerves every stinking day.

He was always there at the crime scene first. He was always there with a witty comeback and a flip and saved the victim and webbed up the bad guy before you could even swing into view. No one knew your name because of him. Because of that stupid, cocky, too-smart-for-his-own-good spider-guy.

Spider-Woman, who had appeared weeks before Spider-Man ever popped up in his homemade suit, was unknown to the people she saved every day. Everyone you saved said, "Thanks, Spider-Man!" and you were too tired of correcting them.

You were living in the shadow of a hero that actually disliked you, even though he was the popular one. It sucked.

You sat high on a building in your spandex pink and black suit, swinging your legs with the breeze, browsing through Twitter. Your screen froze for a split second and Peter's picture popped up. You half gasped. He was calling and you were late to the dinner he'd planned a week ago.

You answered it. "Hey, babe," you said.

"Hey, sweetheart," he replied, sounding happy as always.

"I forgot to tell you earlier, but I can't make it to dinner," you said.

"Oh. That's - that's okay."

"I am so sorry, babe. I promise I'll make it up to you. There's a new superhero movie that came out in theaters last week. I'll take you to see it, my treat." You were rambling, desperately trying to not hurt the feelings of the boy you had fallen in love with.

"Oh, sweetheart, it's fine," he said. "I was calling to apologize and cancel, anyway. Something came up with this internship, and-"

You heard the shuffling of feet way below you. You leaned down and looked, but nothing but a piece of paper floated across the street. You didn't have spidey senses, just web fluid made from your own recipe and a suit made from your brother, who was the best science major at Midtown University.

"Sweetheart? You there?"

"Yeah, sorry," you said. "What were you saying?"

"I was saying that the movies sounds great," he said. "We don't even need to watch the superhero movie. Just anything to make you happy. Anything so that I get to spend time with my girl."

You smiled. "I love you, Pete."

"I love you, sweetheart," he said. "Oh. Hey, I gotta go. I'll talk to you tomorrow?"

"Sure," you said. "Have fun at Mr. Stark's."

"I will," he replied. "Bye!" He hung up.

You went back to scrolling through Twitter. Then you heard a scream.

Your blood pumped with adrenaline and excitement. You shot a web at a nearby sign and swung off of it, heading towards the sound of the scream.

And there was no Spider-Man in sight.

You grinned excitedly, just wanting to get there, to do some good, to save someone and be a hero, to put your scientific abilities to some use-