The Wrong Way | Peter Parker (TH)

requested by Heartcakesaj and _gtfobea

i wasn't planning on this being long but it is bc this is literally my dream and my imagination went way far out haha i am so SAD

//

Two months before graduation, you got an acceptance letter in the mail. You pictured yourself excited to get it, but the mail came while Peter was over, eating hard tacos on the couch, and you realized that you didn't want to leave your goofball of a best friend (and crush) to go to school across the United States. 

"What is it?" Peter mumbled through a mouthful of taco. A piece of lettuce hung out of his lips.

"I, uh," you cleared your throat and folded the letter. "I got accepted."

He nearly jumped off the couch. "You what?"

"I... got accepted," you repeated. Your mouth felt numb.

"Dude, that's awesome!" He stood up and threw his arms around you. "___, I told you that you would get in!"

"Yeah," you said, trying to smile. "It's just-"

He shook his head in confusion. "Why aren't you excited? You worked so hard for this!"

"It's just... I don't know if this is right for me," you said. "I was only accepted here, but it's across the U.S., and you and Ned are staying here..."

"It'll be great," he said. "It'll be hard but it'll be great. We'll keep in touch."

You bit your lip. "We will?"

"You're my best friend, ___," he said. "I'll always be here for you."

You smiled at him, your cheeks burning. 

...

At the airport, you were struggling not to cry. It was difficult when Ned burst into tears and hugged you for six and a half minutes. When they called your flight, you grabbed your carry-on and turned towards Peter, who had tear-filled eyes as he stepped forward and hugged you.

"You mean the world to me," he whispered in your ear, "and I swear, I'll call you every day. Even if you're too busy to answer, I'll do it anyway."

You laughed. "Promise?"

"Absolutely," he said. He pulled away and squeezed your arms. "Hey, you'll be just fine. Call me when you get settled in, okay?"

"Okay," you said. 

"See ya around then," he said. 

You couldn't hold back your tears anymore. "See ya."

...

The first week of college flew by. You learned the map of the campus by Friday and settled into your dorm room. Your roommates were already friends, and but they hadn't said more than four sentences to you (Hey, I'm Abbi and this is Jena. I used your shampoo, hope you don't care! I'm coming home late so leave the door unlocked 'til about three or so. Think you can order us pizza?).

You hated it. 

Your professors were horrible and hated you no matter how hard you worked. People ignored you, even your roommates. The parties in the dorms lasted all night. When students got arrested for underage drinking, they blamed the police officers. Everyone acted like idiots and you didn't get along with anyone. 

You missed home. You missed Peter. 

At the end of the first month, you and Peter had a chance to talk over Skype. It had been difficult to keep up with talking on the phone every day. It took you three weeks to completely settle in, then studying for midterms happened during the fourth and fifth and then midterms completely consumed your life during the sixth.