I Hope They Remember You (part fourteen) | Peter Parker (TH)

did y'all see that infinity war clip with ned, the love and light of my life

i even asked jacob to marry me and he didn't respond

//

When you came to, Peter was at the side of the table you were still laying on. He smiled when he saw your eyes open and sat up straight, rubbing some sleep out of his eyes. 

"Hey there," he whispered. 

You blinked a few times. "Hey... where are we?"

"Uh, this is really cool, actually," he said. He looked like he was completely geeking out. "We are... we are landing in Wakanda."

"Wakanda?" you squeaked, sitting up some.

"Yeah!" He put his arm under your shoulders to help you sit up. You turned and swung your legs off the side. He stood up, his knuckles touching yours knees. "We are literally in Wakanda, ___."

"That's awesome!" you said. "Oh my gosh..."

"I know, but we gotta be cool," he said. He snickered. 

"Right, right, we gotta be cool," you said. You tried to hide your smile. "Because non-Avengers don't get excited over silly places like Wakanda."

His smile faltered for the most brief of seconds. "Right. We don't."

Your lips spread over your teeth into a wide smile. "I... I can't. I'm so excited."

He laughed. "Me, too, actually-"

You giggled and lifted up your hands. He cupped them in his and leaned forward, nose scrunched up with a smile. A cough from the entrance made you and Peter break away. You saw your dad, hands in his pockets. Rocket snickered quietly. 

"You two do realize we are in the middle to a war, right?"

"Uh, yeah," Peter said, voice high. He dropped your hands fast and scratched the back of his head. "I mean, right. A war. And this is serious."

Your dad nodded. "Yes, it is." He looked to you. You hated him like this; weighed down by worry and guilt and grief...

"Are you sure you're up for coming?" he asked.

"I have to be," you said. "You can't just leave me here all day. Besides, I feel much better. I'm strong again. Mantis really helped me out."

"Good, good," he said, but he was still frowning and his voice was still distant. "I don't want you to push yourself."

"Dad," you whispered, shaking your head. You act like I'm dying, you wanted to add, and it hit you hard that you actually were.

"We need to go," he said. "So we can... uh, get this over with."

"Are we meeting the king?" Peter asked, voice still a little high with excitement.

Your dad gave him a look. "Pull it together, Underroos. You met him a few years ago. Don't go all millennial fanboy on the king of Wakanda."

"Dad," you scolded, "let him be excited."

"Yeah, I met him, but not, like, officially," he said. "I never introduced myself because I was a little busy stopping Captain America and his craziness."

You half gasped. "Is Steve here?"

Your dad looked away. "Uh, yeah, he's here," he said.

You smiled. It had been so long since you had seen Steve. You were reluctant to admit to yourself that him leaving for his old friend Bucky made you hate him - actually, both of them. You and Steve were so close - and then he left you, like the family you all had built together wasn't enough for him.

You had felt abandoned and depressed - most of the people that loved you and that you loved left, and it was just you, your dad, Wanda, and Vision.

You hadn't seen Steve in three and a half years.

"I want to see him," you said, mostly to Peter, who nodded. "Let's go."

...

Wakanda was even more beautiful than you imagined. You and Peter couldn't even contain your excitement as you both walked towards the palace, where the king was waiting to meet you all.

When you arrived, you and Peter trailing behind Peter Quill and your dad, you saw Steve and Bucky, standing side by side. Natasha was on the other side.

You were supposed to cross your arms and bow respectfully, you guessed, since he was a king, but seeing them in person and here was so overwhelming that you burst into tears and sprinted ahead, leaping into Steve's arms.

T'Challa held out a hand as his guards stepped forward, spears ready, as you ran past the king. He shook his head.

He caught you, hugging back. "Hey, kiddo, it's great to see you again." He pulled back and looked at you, shaking his head. "Although you're not much of a kid now, are you?"

"I guess not," you answered, sniffing. "I am twenty now." It seemed unreal. You pulled back, examining his tired face. "You grew a beard."

"Yeah," he said, rubbing his face. "I did."

You grinned. "You look good with a beard," you said. "Different, but good.

He just laughed.

You looked over, seeing Bucky and Natasha. "Hey, Bucky," you said, no ounce of bitterness to your tone. You were finally reunited with the part of your family that had been gone for so long. You looked over to Natasha, who reached over and smoothed your hair down.

"Hey, girl," she said. "Missed you."

"Hey, Nat," you whispered. "I missed you guys, too."

You turned to look at your dad, who gave a half smile. He nodded once. "Hey, Steve," he said.

"Stark," Steve replied. He looked down to you, kissed you on the head, then pulled away.

You stepped back over to Peter, putting one of your hands in his and grabbing the inside of his arm with the other. He turned his head and beamed at you, and you grinned right back.

"I can happy to see you all are reunited," T'Challa said, nodding.

"Sorry for, uh, everything, your majesty," you mumbled, cheeks pink.

He smiled. "Please," he said. He gestured to his family - his guards, his mother, his little sister - and then all of your family, too. "Family is important. And that is what this is. Family."

You nodded, holding Peter's hand a little bit tighter.

Even in the middle of a terrifying war, you were grateful to be amongst friends and family.