I Hope They Remember You (part twenty-five) | Peter Parker (TH)

ya girl got her infinity war ticket today!!!

//

Over the next few days, after you had woken up and discovered your strength, crushed his fingers, and witnessed the start of the falling apart of your family, Peter had to witness the dozens of tests that would all give the same results. With each needle pushed into your flesh, he wanted to scream the end of the story. You were dying, you were dying, just stop making her more miserable than she is, she's dying-

You were forced to stay in the lab, always hooked up to different machines. Peter hated to see it, but he had to visit. He had to keep the story going. He just wanted it to be over, and he was so close. 

He was so close to finally getting to hold you, to go through a future full of unknowns.

So he kept visiting as he was supposed to.

"How are your fingers?" you asked him as he the pulled out the containers of Chinese food. He placed your meal on your legs and then grabbed a pair of chopsticks from the bottom of the bag.

At least he liked this memory a lot more than the last few days of painful tests. 

"All healed," he said, holding his hand up. He wiggled his fingers just as he did before. "Record time, too."

"I'm really sorry, Pete."

"I told you it was fine. You didn't know, so how could we?"

"I know, but..."

"Just stop apologizing," he said. "If you keep it up, I'll stop accepting."

"Pete..."

"I mean it!" he laughed again and opened his food. "I got egg rolls. You want one?"

"Um, yeah," you said. He smiled as he handed you one. You took the paper off of your chopsticks and angled them between your fingers. You dunked them into your bowl to grab a dumpling, but as you pulled it out, the sticks broke in half and the piece of dough fell onto the floor just as he expected. You sighed.

"It's okay," Peter said, mouth full of noodles. "I got a couple of extras." He handed you the chopsticks, waiting for you to break this one, too. He didn't remember when it happened, but he knew what happened after that, and the thought almost made him giddy - another moment of you falling in love with him and he with you.

"You think of everything, Pete. Thanks." You tried again and managed to get a dumpling in your mouth. "Was Ned mad that you missed your senior trip?"

"No. He understood. He's great." He chewed and swallowed. "It doesn't matter, anyway. I just want to graduate and be done." Still true, he thought.

"And be a full time Avenger?" you teased, smiling.

He snorted. Not anymore. "Yeah. If only, right?"

"What do you mean?" you asked. "Has... has my dad not made you an Avenger yet?"

"No," he said. Yes.

"What? It's been three years!"

"I know." It doesn't matter, I just want to be with you.

"That sucks," you said. "I'm sorry."

He shrugged. I really don't care about it anymore.

"Hey..." You held up your chopsticks and touched them to each of his shoulders. "And... I declare you are an Avenger. Congratulations, Peter Benjamin Parker."

He pushed your hand away playfully. "Wow... thanks. But that means nothing to me."

"Hey!" you laughed.