Broken Souls | Peter Parker (TH)

WARNING: THIS INCLUDES SPOILERS FOR INFINITY WAR

sad imagine to match my very sad mood

requested by teacupwishes; this is a soulmate AU! not my own AU.

//

Peter rushed to you when Thanos disappeared. He wasn't sure what his disappearance meant exactly, and knew that him having the Time Stone only meant bad things, but he was just grateful that you were unharmed during the fight. When he had been slammed to the ground by Thanos's big fist, you had thrown yourself in harm's way to protect him.

Your arms went around his neck and he lifted you off the ground a little, whispering thank you just because you were unharmed. Ever since he had met you three years ago, his life had been full of color. He couldn't imagine losing it - losing you.

He kissed your cheek and dropped you, catching your gaze. You gave him a nod that said, hey, I'm okay, and he nodded back, cupping the side of your face for half a second.

"Why did you do that?" Tony asked Doctor Strange.

Peter turned, pulling away from you to watch Tony. He let out a stressed breath and stared forward. Peter wondered what was going through his head, if he was scared or not, and what the plan was.

But he didn't say anything because he was afraid of the answers.

Peter started to get a weird feeling. He sort of felt itchy, in a way that he couldn't explain. He fidgeted, scratching at the back of his neck. It was like spidey senses, but amplified. It was odd.

"Something's happening!"

He turned. The alien girl that he couldn't remember the name of was staring at her hands. When they started to vanish, she looked to Doctor Strange for help. But she vanished in a second.

Peter's stomach twisted.

Her friend, the greenish blue skinned one, looked at the other Peter. "Quill?" he asked. Then he was gone.

Quill followed. "Oh, man-"

Oh no. Oh no. No, no, no-

Peter's heart dropped. He turned again, feeling every hair on his body stand straight, every surface of his skin chill, his fingers shake. He felt nauseous and anxious and he realized why when Doctor Strange disappeared and the feeling didn't go away.

Slowly, his feet turned him towards you. "Oh no," he breathed, eyes already filling with tears. He saw you standing in the same spot, looking at your feet, which were starting to disappear. "No," he said, shaking his head. "Please..."

Your head slowly rose. "Peter?" you asked, and then your feet vanished completely and you fell forward.

Peter let out a sob as he dropped down to catch you. He turned you over in his arms and lowered you to the ground, one hand holding the side of your face.

"No, baby, no!" he cried, clutching you tight. He looked at your legs and shook his head. With horror, he realized that color was losing its vibrance. "Oh gosh, please don't. No, no, no, you gotta stay with me! Baby?" He looked at you.

Your body was trembling violently. You grabbed for his hand, squeezing it too hard. He almost winced but didn't. "Did he kill me?" you asked, "Oh gosh, Peter, did he get me?" you sobbed. You must have seen the answer in his eyes. "No, I don't wanna die! I don't want to die. Please, Pete, do something. Do something!"

He couldn't describe the feeling of losing a soulmate. He couldn't describe the feeling of it when it was dialed up to an eleven with all of his other senses. He couldn't describe the mix of his spidey senses screaming that something was wrong and his soul screaming that something was wrong as his mate died in his arms.

He wanted to make it right and couldn't.

He sobbed loudly and shook his head. He felt so lost as your skin became almost like a window. He could see his palm holding the back of your head.

"I love you," he managed to choke out. Your weight was becoming feather-light and he wasn't sure what to do. "B-baby..."

The color of your skin was fading. The color of your hair. The color of your eyes. The color of your lips. Everything was becoming grey; the color of slush leftover from an old snow that you wished would wash away.

You vanished, his arms empty, his chest falling forward at the sudden absence of you. His palms smacked in a pile of dust. Peter pushed himself off of it, sobbing and looking at his hands.

Instead of red, he saw grey. The magenta and orange rocks of the planet were now dull. Inside, he felt his soul crumble.

It felt like a physical blow. It was the worst pain he had ever experienced. He fell on his side on the ground, hand on his chest, as if he was trying to hold his soul together.

He screamed out, pained and broken, his voice cracking and breaking off in a dozen different places.

As the reality of what had just taken place rolled through him, he was glad that you hadn't felt the pain of losing him. He knew without a doubt that his powers would try to heal him if he were dying. He knew that there wasn't a way to defeat the deaths done by Thanos's gauntlet, and his powers would have desperately tried to heal his disappearing body.

He knew that the pain of losing a soulmate was great, and if you had lost him, it would have gone on too long and killed you. It would have torn your soul into pieces.

In a way, it was a good thing that you had gone instead of him. Peter never wanted you to go through any pain. But you were torn so suddenly, and his life was ripped to shreds in your absence.

There wasn't even a body for his soul to mourn. Instead it was aching, reaching for a hint of your precious existence, unable to find anything besides pieces of grey dust. His soul was searching for you, as if you were still out there in the universe.

Peter, however, was letting the grief consume him. He just wanted it to finish tearing him apart.