I Hope They Remember You (part fifteen) | Peter Parker (TH)

y'all i am going to write that a quiet place AU and it'll probably be pretty soon. my semester ends officially on may 4th although, depending on my finals schedule, it may be done before that.

it won't contain spoilers from the movie, so y'all don't need to ask me to wait for you to get a chance to see it

and guys, messaging me again and again about your request is not going to make it come any faster. i get it, you want to see it. trust me, i wish i had time to get them out super fast, but i don't. please just be patient. if you sent me a request, i saw it. i'll write it unless i told you i wouldn't for a reason.

//

Your team was now so much bigger with everyone there (minus Clint and that Ant-guy your dad had arrested a few years ago). Out in the grassy fields of Wakanda, you waited alongside everyone else as they nervously anticipated the arrival of Thanos and those creatures.

You couldn't help but wonder - were you more like them than you were your own side? Would Thanos use you against your family? If he could torture you with the snap of his finger, could he control you as well?

"___," Peter whispered, slipping his mask on over his face.

"Peter," you said, not looking at him, "you need to prepare yourself. Any minute now-" You tightened up the laces on your boots and ignored the panic attack that was so near in your future.

"No, I know - I-I am ready, I just need... I need-" He stopped, sighed, and knelt down on the ground in front of you. "I need to say goodbye."

Your eyes flickered to his, covered by the mask. "What?"

"I know-"

"You literally just told me that you were going to delay us saying goodbye for as long as possible," you said, and you couldn't hold back your panic attack anymore. Your voice broke. "You said to me-"

"I know what I said," he said, grabbing your hand. "And I did. I did delay it as long as possible. Look around us, ___ - we are in the middle of a war. This is the end of our life."

"No," you whispered. "No, you - you said-"

"And you believed that me saying it would change things?" he asked.

You dropped your head. "No," you said. "I just hoped."

"I know," he said. "I know. We might still have time. This fight might not go the way we think. We could win, we could. But just in case... in case we don't... I-I just need you to know that you are... you are everything I have ever hoped for. You are so amazing, ___." He sounded like he was in tears. "I want you to know that I will do everything I can to keep you safe. You don't need to tell me that I don't have to do that, that you're dying anyway. I don't care. I don't want anything to rob us of the time we can still have together. But if this is it..."

You shook your head, eyes squeezing shut. This was breaking your heart. The most amazing, awesome, romantic thing (everything you had prayed for for years of your life) was absolutely shattering your heart.

"Don't say it, Peter," you whispered. "Please... I won't be able to think or fight if you say it-"

"But I do," he said, voice shaky. "I do. You know that, don't you?"

"Yes. I know you do," you said, opening your eyes and letting tears escape. You slowly stood up on shaking legs, tears streaking down your face. Your fingers found his. "I do, too."

He let go of you to swipe some tears away. He shook his head. The fabric of his mask moved with the gentle movements of his lips. "Don't cry," he murmured. "I love seeing you happy, ___. It makes me feel like I'm doing something right."

"I am happy, Pete," you said. You smiled. "I am happy to be with you, even here. Even if this is the end."

"Yeah, me too," he agreed, nodding his head.

He realized how much he wanted to kiss you and couldn't wait. He dropped your hand and hooked his fingers under his mask, rolling it up until it was over his lips.

Your eyebrows furrowed and he put a single hand on the small of your back and pushed you forward, your stomach pressing against his, and he dipped his head down and, clumsily, his soft lips met yours, tasting of Chapstick and making you stupidly wonder if he had carried a tube of it around somewhere in his suit-

You shook the stupid thought out of your head. No, this was your first kiss. You would enjoy it.

So you did.

You moved your lips against his and felt the way they formed into your mouth and the way he felt holding you like that and the way you felt, all protected and loved and beautiful, and even though you knew you hadn't changed from the girl that stood on the balcony and cried because she wasn't enough, you felt changed.

Because you had waited for a boy to come around that would do something like this. That would see something inside of you and want it.

You had lost track of the number of boys you had chased with just shreds of hopes that maybe, just maybe, they would see that something you wanted them to see. But they never did, and you were overcome with disappointment.

But now-

Peter was holding you, holding you the way you always imagined someone just might.

You had given up hope that he was coming long ago. You thought that maybe, if the right guy did find you, it would be at the end of the world.

And now, at the end of it all, he was here. At the end of the galaxy, kissing you.

You broke away and stared at his lips for a long moment. With careful fingers, you rolled the mask back down. He lowered his head until his forehead rested against yours.

Your heart sank as you felt him. Thanos.

You pulled away and turned, eyes finding your dad at the front in the Hulkbuster suit. He didn't even look your way.

Your dad, you knew, wasn't much for saying goodbyes.