I Hope They Remember You (part twenty) | Peter Parker (TH)

y'all infinity war is so soon. i have much planned to celebrate its release the day after it comes out.

when does infinity war release for you/when are you seeing it? i need to know when i should leave the internet. i will hopefully have this series done by the end of the week!

 i will hopefully have this series done by the end of the week!

//

Peter shifted his backpack strap to the other shoulder. He stared at his dirty sneakers as he walked across the airport, luggage trailing behind him. The automatic doors pulled open and he stepped through them, looking up to see Happy and his black car sitting at the curb. 

"Hey, kid," Happy said, waving with one hand and opening the door to the backseat with the other. 

"Hi," he mumbled, thinking about how you should be getting in the car with him.

In the backseat, he dropped his backpack next to him and pulled out his earbuds. Before he popped them in, he looked up and saw Happy watching him in the mirror. 

"What?" he asked him. 

"How you holding up, kid?" he asked. 

"I..." He looked down.

"That's what I thought," he said. "Look. I'm not supposed to say anything about this."

Just then, Pepper turned around in the passenger seat. "Whoa," Peter said, "what are you doing here?"

"Tony Stark is going to kill himself," she said, "and we can't let that happen."

"What do you mean?" Peter asked. "Where is he?"

"He's somewhere in space, kid," Happy said. 

"I know you're barely eighteen, Peter," Pepper said, voice soft and broke, "and I know it's a lot to put on your shoulders. But if you can go find him, talk some sense into him, get him to come home..."

Peter didn't even need to think about it. "I'll do it," he said. He knew you. He knew you wouldn't want your dad to put himself in harm's way because you were gone. He knew you only wanted the best for him. 

And Tony was just going to throw everything away because of grief. 

"I'll do it," he whispered, "I gotta stop him."

...

Back in Wakanda, a day and a half later, Peter suited up in his new suit. He stood in the lab as Shuri whispered to Stephen Strange. Pepper stood in front of him and held his arm. 

"You don't have to do this, Peter," she whispered. A tear slipped out of her eye and she pressed a free hand to her lips. "I know I pushed it, but this is... this is crazy. I can see that. I just-"

"You can't lose him," Peter said, holding her gaze. "I know. I can't either. I will do whatever it takes to save him."

"Peter," Shuri said, "if you want to go, you must go now."

He nodded. Pulling away from Pepper as she placed a kiss on his cheek. He gripped his mask in hand and walked over to Stephen Strange, who used his fingertips to open a portal up before him. 

"Thanos has almost all of the stones," he said, staring into the portal. 

"Yeah, I know."

"But the one he doesn't have," he said, looking at Peter, "is the Time Stone." Stephen gave a small smile. "I don't know how much you know about the six stones that he wishes to posses, but the Time Stone can be used to go back to a specific moment and change things."

"Change things?" he whispered. 

"I am not saying it will work," Strange said, "but there is at least a chance."

Peter's eyebrows raised. His heart suddenly dropped out of his chest and straight through the floor. "You mean... we can save her? I can see her again? Will it be real?"

"Yeah, it will be real," he said. "Get out of this alive, kid, and we can do it. Tell Tony that there can be a way. It might give him a glimpse of hope."

"Thank you," he said, voice weak. 

Peter looked at Shuri, who gave a gentle, encouraging smile, and he stepped inside. 

No help followed. 

...

Tony stood up weak and hurt, and then promptly collapsed on himself and fell back down. His forehead met the cool iron of his hands. He closed his eyes, breathing heavily, the sound of Thanos's deep, throaty chuckle making his entire body shudder. 

This thing, so praised by his people out of terror, had killed his daughter. 

"Is it worth it, Tony Stark?" Thanos asked. "Was coming here worth it? Did you have hopes of stopping me? Or perhaps... perhaps you had hopes of killing yourself to be with your daughter again. Or maybe just to end the pain of losing her completely." He chuckled and picked Tony up by the back of his suit. Tony didn't fight as he was tossed away, landing on his face, getting a mouthful of dirt and rock. He spat and shakily stood up again.

___, baby, I am so sorry for failing you.

I could have done so much better. 

I shouldn't have brought you. 

I shouldn't have put you in danger. 

I shouldn't have become Iron Man.

I once thought that my only purpose in life would be completed by the suit and title of being an Avenger, but I was so wrong. You were enough. Being your dad was enough. 

It is enough.

"Human nature disgusts me," he said. "You all are weak and rely on emotions. If only you knew how much more there was. Of course... humans can't comprehend that. That is why they will all be gone when I have the final infinity stone. Which I will, because there is no stopping me now." 

Tony felt blood drip out of a deep cut in his busted lip. He watched it make a puddle on the dirt. 

"Well, if you have come to die, I will give you death. But it will not be as quick as your daughter's." He approached Tony. "I hope they remember you."

Tony's arms shook more violently. He squeezed his eyes shut, whimpering in pain, thinking only of you, of you when you turned five, of you when he returned from every business trip, of you graduating high school, of you crying on the balcony so long ago. 

"Mr. Stark! Mr. Stark, don't do this! Don't do this-"

Tony's head snapped up and his eyes opened. Through the pain, through the fear, through the grief that all overwhelmed him, he heard the voice of Peter Parker-

Peter Parker coming to stop him.