I Hope They Remember You (part nine) | Peter Parker (TH)

posting this now because tomorrow is Good Friday and i will be spending that with my family. Jesus loving friends, don't forget to thank Jesus for all He endured so we could one day spend eternity in Heaven with Him and His Father. ♡

and here's a heads up for y'all - saying "i respect your beliefs" or "no offense" and then finishing your sentence with blatant attacks at my beliefs or just continuing to talk about something i dont want to talk about is gonna get you blocked, too. i know what y'all are doing even when you swear you were just stating an opinion. you can state one, just not like that.

//

You were going back home soon. According to your father, people everywhere were doing their parts. In Wakanda, New York, and different parts of space and different realms - superheros were being gathered. 

You dad had one plan before everyone reunited somewhere on Earth. You weren't given much information - and that only made you think that your dad was trying to protect you from the realization that your recent death sentence might not even matter. You could die today.

"Here's the plan - we are going to be gathering everyone. Everyone."

"Everyone?" you asked, hope in your voice.

Your dad looked at you and nodded once. "Yes. Everyone." He turned away. 

"So Steve and Bucky are coming?" you asked. Your dad didn't answer. "Can you handle that?"

"Yes," he snapped. "I can handle it."

You sighed. "Dad, I'm not... I don't blame you for what you did, you know that. But what Bucky did... did you ever forgive him? Did you ever forgive Steve?"

He looked at you again. "I... am working on it." He gave a weak attempt at a smile. "I am really trying."

...

The meeting dispersed a while after. Even though you and Peter were included more now, you both were still shielded from information like children. Like you couldn't understand what a war was.

It bothered you, but you did not say a word.

Quill and your dad were navigating the ship. You and Peter stood together, not saying anything, just staring at one another. Gamora glanced at you, forced her eyes away, and cleared her throat. 

"I am sorry for how blunt I was," she said. 

You glanced at her. "There was no other way to be."

She almost smiled. "I used to wish I had a way out of Thanos's grip. Death seemed like... like a welcome embrace." She shook her head. "He won't stop until he destroys half the universe. Everything you know, everything you love - it will all be gone."

You looked at Peter, who swallowed thickly. 

Mantis, who was sitting on the floor quietly, blinked her big eyes up at you and Peter. "You two must really care about each other," she spoke softly. "It's sweet."

Your cheeks went aflame and he smiled, face pink. He looked at you and found your hand. "Yeah," he said. "A little bit, I guess."

"A little bit?" Drax asked, turning towards Peter. "There is no way you care about her just a little bit. I have known you for several long days and you stare at her every second you get. It is quite disturbing. I am sure she doesn't care about you-"

"Wow, okay," Peter said. He nodded. "Thanks, man."

"I don't know why you are thanking me. What I said was cruel. But true, so, you are welcome." He smiled, pleased with himself, and looked away.

You laughed softly and looked up at Peter. You shrugged. "I care about you, no matter how creepy you are."

"Well," he said. "We are at a feed-each-other level friendship, so you should be used to me."

"Yes, true," you said, turning towards him. "Plus we are sort of fighting to the death next to one another. Gotta develop some kind of trust, even if one of you is a little creepy."

His smile disappeared and he grabbed your hand. "You know... you know that nothing has changed, right? I am going to keep you safe no matter what."

"I know," you said. You nodded. "But you don't need to risk it all to keep my dad whole. He'll be fine when... when I go." 

"I am not keeping you safe for him," he said. "I'm keeping you safe for me, for the team - we're family, ___. I can't just - I can't just lose you."

"You will, though," you said. "And I know that sucks, but - I could lose you, too. Any time during this war, something can happen. And if it's true and Thanos does get all of the infinity stones, we are all screwed anyway."

"I still don't want to say goodbye," he whispered. He shook his head. "I mean... we've barely started this. Whatever - whatever this is."

"This feed-each-other level friendship," you teased lightly.

"Don't forget about how we are both not Avengers," he said.

You rolled your eyes. "Oh, how could I not? It totally defines us," you said.

He looked around the ship. "It does, actually. They treat us like kids."

"You are kids," Drax pointed out.

"Not on Earth, man," Peter said. "We are grown ups."

"Only a kid would say grown ups," he said, shaking his head. "You are a child." He looked at you. "Maybe not her. But definitely you." He walked towards Quill.

"Yikes," Peter said. You snickered into your hand. He was blushing so red. "I guess this makes everything awkward now, since I'm a kid."

You shrugged and took his hands. "Why don't we just enjoy being kids for now, Pete?" you asked. "I mean, we're screwed anyway. Chances are neither of us will see our thirtieth birthday."

"I never wanted to grow old much, anyway," Peter said. He reached up and tucked a lock of hair behind your ear. "I think I've pretty much got everything I ever did want right now."

"Minus the title of being an Avenger," you said.

He stepped closer to you, his fingers pausing on your cheek. He shook his head and snorted. His eyes shifted to every inch of your face slowly. "Let the Avengers stuff go," he said softly. "This is what matters."

How was it that everything you had ever prayed for had come so soon? Even if it was going to be taken away before you could really have time to enjoy it, it was perfect.

Peter Parker ended up being the boy you were waiting for all along.

You never thought he would be it-

But here he was-

Here he was.

You cupped his hand and held it against your face, heart fluttering, eyes closing.

You couldn't agree more. This was what mattered.