I Hope They Remember You (part twenty-one) | Peter Parker (TH)

thank you for all of your prayers, guys.

//

Tony saw Peter sprinting towards him. He fell to his knees in front of him, his hands going to the broken iron plates on his shoulders. He shook him slightly, his head dipping down to level with his. 

"Mr. Stark, Mr. Stark- you can't do this," Peter said, eyebrows pushed together. "Please, please-"

"Kid," Tony half whispered, "you know I can't live without her."

"There's a way to save her," Peter sobbed quietly, so Thanos couldn't hear him, "I think there's a way we can get her back. But you have to come with me, Mr. Stark." Tony dropped his head and shook it, mumbling. "No, Mr. Stark, you have to come home!" His voice broke. "Come home, Mr. Stark, please."

Tony looked at him, and in the eighteen year old boy's eyes, he saw a five year old kid that lost his parents. A thirteen year old kid that lost his uncle. A boy that risked his life to stop the Vulture from stealing. The boy that did everything to try and make the short life of his little girl just a little bit longer.

He knew that this little boy in front of him couldn't lie. 

If he was saying there was a chance to bring you back, then he had to be telling the truth. For the first time since he saw you drop to the ground, Tony felt a glimmer of hope. It was small, but it was there, and things had been so low lately, that it felt overwhelming...

"Young boy," said Thanos, "didn't I warn you before? Didn't I show you what would happen when you get too attached to mortals like your girl?"

Peter's eyes shifted upward. His sharp jaw clenched and he gripped Tony a little tighter, turning so that he could lean against him. Peter helped him stand, still glaring at Thanos. 

"You're wrong," Peter said matter-of-factly. "You are so wrong."

"How am I wrong?" he asked. "I have never been wrong."

"Yes you have," Peter said. "You were wrong when you said you'd beat us. You were wrong when you said you'd get all of the infinity stones. You were wrong when you thought that taking ___'s life in front of us would destroy us forever. Look at us."

"Look at you?" Thanos boomed, "Look at you? Look at him. Pathetic. He came here to die. And die he will... but not in the quick way he wants."

"Not today," Peter said, shooting a web grenade.

Thanos held up his arm. The web wrapped around it, not knocking him back as it stretched and wrapped around his arm. He shook his head and stomped forward as Peter and Tony limped away slowly. 

"Pathetic!" Thanos laughed. 

Peter pushed Tony. "Mr. Stark, you gotta go. Strange has a portal waiting for you. He has the time stone and he can go back and save her, just find him and he will-"

Thanos grabbed Peter by the head. He was torn off the ground, away from Mr. Stark, and tossed away. The ground cracked as he hit it, Thanos landing on top of him, his hand tight around his neck.

Mr. Stark gasped, pain - both physical and emotional - shooting through his body. He raised his palm out and shot at Thanos, dragging the attention back to him. Thanos wasted no time to pick him up and throw him, too. Tony landed on his back, breath knocked out of him. 

"Mr. Stark," gasped Peter. 

Tony found the strength to roll over and crawl over to him. He leaned over Peter. 

"I'm sorry," Peter whispered. 

Tony just stared at him. 

"I'm sorry for everything," he whispered, "for losing her, for letting you down. All I wanted to do was keep her safe and I couldn't."

"Kid," Tony said, shaking his head. "Kid, you don't have to be-"

"But I am," he whimpered, head nodding, "and I wish I could have been better for her."

Tony leaned over, his hand falling on his shoulder. "We still have that chance, kid."

"If we make it," Peter said. 

Tony nodded. "Yeah... where did you say that portal was opened?"

...

The sky cracked and shattered. Pieces of debris fell around Tony and Peter as they hurried away, Tony's hands under Peter's arms, Tony flying between and around pieces of planet as Thanos grew bigger and bigger, crushing planets in his palms. The entire ground beneath them shattered and they fell, falling into the stars and the galaxies, and Peter thought of how they were going to die-

And then they were on another ground, falling on their backs, heads spinning because none of this made sense, and how could Thanos control what was happening like this-

"Mr. Stark," Peter started, but Thanos landed in front of them and it all started again.

This time, they both landed on different planets. Peter looked up as Thanos's hand reached down. He must have grabbed the planet he was on, because suddenly the sky was dark and it felt like he was moving. 

Peter got up and ran. He didn't know where or why or how he was going to live, but the moment everything that was around him blew up and shattered into fragments of rock and stone and matter, he shot a web, sticking to a giant chunk and swinging out of it. He flew forward, tumbling, webbing himself to keep a somewhat straight path forward. He didn't stop until Tony crashed into him, arms wrapping around him. Peter gasped, looking around. 

"Mr. Stark, Mr. Stark, Mr. Stark, we are going to die-"

"Just hang on, kid," Tony said. "We're almost there." He made a sharp turn to dodge another piece of a shattered planet. "But yeah, we are probably going to die-"

Peter couldn't help but wonder how strong Thanos would be with all of the infinity stones. When Gamora said that he could wipe out all of humanity with the snap of his fingers, she wasn't kidding. He was doing all of this with only five stones. The entire time they had been battling him, he had been holding back, playing with them. They didn't stand a chance; never did. 

The chaotic space in front of him disappeared and in its place, the outline of a glowing, orange portal. Peter almost cried in relief as he saw Wanda, Natasha, Steve, T'Challa, and Stephen standing in front of the portal. 

Peter and Tony clutched each other as they crashed through, holding one another, flying way too fast to be making the landing-

But making it anyway, both alive.