The Gift: Part Five

Note: This is part five of a oneshot series in 'Plenty of Wonders', so you'll be confused if you haven't read those parts yet! And to those who have read it, surprise! It's been a while since I wrote anything on this, but I figured I needed one or two more parts to finish this completely. Hope you enjoy!

Pairing(s): Logicality and Prinxiety

Warnings: Strong language, mention of unrequited love, and panicking
__
__
Logan simply relaxing in his room, leaning against the headboard of his bed with Patton cuddled up to him, his head resting on his chest. It had been at least a month since anyone in the Mind had mentioned Virgil's feelings towards Roman, and they all felt much calmer because of it.

In fact, Logan had noticed the two of them actually making an effort to bond. They planned movie marathons together, as well as willingly spending time with each other and conversing in the Common Room. It was pleasant to see them building up their friendship.

"Logan?"

Hearing his boyfriend's sweetly sleepy voice call to him, the logical facet smiled warmly and rubbed circles into his back. "Yes, Patton?"

They had been dating for around three months, and despite the drama with Roman and Virgil, they had managed to spend as much time together as possible. Patton sat up slightly and leaned up to press a kiss to his boyfriend's nose. "You were just zoning out, that's all."

Logan breathed out a laugh and apologised, returning a gentle kiss that Patton pressed to his lips. They abruptly pulled apart when Logan's bedroom door suddenly swung open, revealing a frantic looking Roman, who was twisting the shoulder tassels of his tunic with his fingers. "I have a problem. A big problem. A Heffolump sized problem!"

Trying to give his friend some positive energy, Patton beamed over at him. "Lumpy was pretty small!"

"A mother Heffolump sized problem!"

"Oh boy."

Sighing heavily, Logan adjusted his glasses and turned his head to look at the creative facet, his chest soon filling with concern at the clear panic creasing his friend's forehead, and at the guilt burning in his expression. "Roman, I recommend that you take a deep breath and calm yourself down. Instead of merely rambling on about your problem, how about you explain it so we can make an attempt to help you?"

The couple watched their friend hold his arms out in front of him, raising them slowly as he breathed in, and then lowering them as he breathed out. Logan soon noticed the similarities between this action and Virgil's method of steadying his breathing. 'Huh.'

After a couple of seconds, Roman closed the door to Logan's room and brushed a hand through his hair, frustration whitening his knuckles and tensing his fingers. Patton frowned in worry and sat up, the feeling of Logan's arm loosely wrapped around his waist eased some of the nerves. "Alright, kiddo. Tell us what's wrong."

"I'm a terrible person," Roman muttered angrily to himself, clasping his fingers together at the back of his neck, "I am the worst. What am I going to do? We're getting along wonderfully, and now I'm going to ruin it!"

Logan furrowed his eyebrows for a moment in confusion before feeling his eyes narrow and his chest tighten. A sharp spark of dread shot through his stomach up to his throat, making it more difficult for him to breathe. God, he hoped Roman wasn't about to say what he thought he was going to say. "Is this about Virgil?"

Nodding frantically, the colourful trait swallowed the lump in his throat before covering his face with trembling hands. He couldn't even bear to meet either pair of piercing eyes as they gazed at him expectantly. "I... I think I have feelings for him."

"No."

Both Logan and Roman looked over at Patton in surprise, not expecting the sudden fire in his eyes. He leaned forward in not quite an intimidating manner, but for some reason, the action immediately caused Roman to shrink back slightly. "No. Don't think. You have to know. If you don't know for certain, don't say anything. Virgil... It was hard enough for him to be rejected by you once, I don't know how he'll handle it if you reject him again."

The moral persona's fire was blown out as he sighed sadly, looking down at the navy sheets and slumping his shoulders. "He may not even believe you, so if you don't truly and most definitely mean it, then please don't act on what you think you feel."

"I would never," Roman spoke determinedly, "and I am sure. We... We have been spending more time together lately, and... I don't know, my perspective of him has changed. There are so many things about him that irritated me before that I now find endearing, such as the 'dark and dreary' persona he tries to uphold. Now... Now he just looks like a little kitten trying to be threatening."

He laughed lightly at the thought, cheeks flushing pink and a hand coming up to rub the back of his neck. "It's odd. I don't even know when it happened, when I suddenly just started to... like him, I guess."

Patton smiled warmly at the sight of a shy Prince and shook his head softly. "That's... not quite how it works, buddy. You don't just start liking someone in a split second, it morphs and develops over time, y'know? Like... you start noticing things about them you hadn't before, or, like you said, you see things you already knew about them in a different light. Maybe it's not quite a feeling you can place in the romantic category at first," he paused to lace his fingers with Logan's and felt his face warm up at the fond surprise on his boyfriend's face, "but it's something new. And that's always where it starts."

At his unpredicted speech on love, Roman felt something in his chest flutter. Images of dark russet eyes made darker by black smudges, lazy smirks, and flushed skin beneath pale makeup rush through his mind. Logan spotted the small twinkle of realisation shine in his eyes before a grin spread across the prince's face.

"Thank you, padre. I think... I think I'm going to talk to him about it, but can you give me some pointers? I really don't want to hurt him again." This is spoken in such an uncertain tone that Logan and Patton both take pity on him, explaining what they think the best course of action would be.

Logan's gaze flickered between his best friend and boyfriend, and he felt a light twitch of his lips. Maybe things would be okay. Just maybe.