On Your Side

Requested by - _X-Menger_-

Prompt: "If they mess with you, they're messing with me."

Pairing(s): Platonic Royality

Warnings: Strong language, homophobic slurs, transphobic slurs, intensely homophobic remarks, crude remarks, inappropriate remarks, and bullying

Seriously, the homophobia is pretty intense so please be careful
___
___
"Ew, what the fuck are you wearing?"

Patton feels the blood running through his veins freeze. The blue pleated skirt flowing down an inch above his knees is suddenly made of steel, cold and heavy. So heavy.

How is he supposed to answer that? He should just keep walking. Maybe they'll just give up and leave him alone.

But he barely takes three steps before a boy behind him pulls on the back of his cardigan and practically screams in his ear. "I asked a question, you fucking fag! Why are you wearing that?! Are you a tranny or something?"

Should he answer them? His neck hurts now, the collar of his cardigan had pressed harshly into his skin, leaving a red crescent on his throat. What can he even say? That, yes, he is gay, but no, he isn't transgender or transsexual. Or whoever that slur was created to insult.

His voice fails him again, so he just carries on down the hallway and swallows the tight lump in his throat. People are staring disapprovingly at his tormentors, which is great, but it would be better if they would actually help him.

"Oh my god, are you deaf? Fucking answer me, dyke! Or is that dick in your mouth keeping you from answering?"

Doesn't he know that that slur is used against lesbians rather than gay men? Not that it really matters, it's still a horrible word. There are laughs echoing through his head and his stomach turns. He wants to throw up, but that would just give them more of a reason to harass him.

Suddenly, he's shoved forward and bumps into a group of girls. Two of them shout at him, whilst the other three send him sympathetic glances. He doesn't know what to do. Why won't anyone help him?

"Fuck off, dude. You're not funny."

A guy from his art class hurries to stand in between Patton and the group of teenagers behind him. "You're just being a dick, stop tormenting him."

The apparent 'leader' of their clique rolls his eyes and steps forward, rolling his short sleeves further up his arms. "How am I being a dick? I'm not in his mouth or in his ass am I?"

After this particularly terrible insult, the friends he has around him cheer him on exaggeratedly, slapping him on the back and making several sounds of approval. Patton's protector pauses for a second to think, and then shrugs, overly nonchalant, before nodding. "You probably want to be though."

"Ew, what the fuck?!"

The 'protector' continues. "Well, if the only thing you can think to do with a dick is to put it in a guy then..."

Disgusted at the implications, the 'leader' flushes red in embarrassment and yells at the people laughing around him, some of which are his 'friends'. Patton trembles in fear as the guy from his class silently leads him away, hurrying the two of them into an empty classroom. "Are you alright?"

Patton shrugs. "I think so, yeah. Thank you for helping me."

"People like that are just gross, to be honest. I hate having to play the 'homophobic-people-are-secretly-gay' card because it kind of makes being gay seem like a bad thing, but sometimes you have to." He huffs out a sigh, but soon grins and brushes his frustration away. "Anyway. I'm Roman, and you?"

"Patton."

There's a bright smile on Patton's face as he shakes his hero's hand. "Thank you again, I was really scared and nobody was doing anything so..."

Roman shakes his head with a sympathetic smile and squeezes Patton's shoulder lightly. "It's alright, you're okay now. From now on, if they mess with you, they're messing with me. Okay?"

Patton wants to laugh at this seventeen-year-old's confidence, but instead he just beams up at him and nods. "Ditto!"

At this, Roman does laugh, but Patton isn't offended. He's short and doesn't have a whole lot of strength, but as long as he got the sentiment across, he doesn't mind.

They stay in the classroom for a few more minutes before leaving and heading towards the main exit. As they reach the double doors, Roman looks down and gasps, grinning brightly. "I love your skirt! Where'd you get it?"

Patton beams back at him.