Safe Space

Note: Hey! This is just a oneshot based on a headcanon post by tumblr user @poppysanders, I hope you enjoy!

Pairing(s): Platonic LAMP/CALM, can be read as romantic

Warnings: Heartbreak, mention of breakups, high levels of frustration, slight feelings of helplessness, mention of heightened levels of anxiety, mention of Deceit, fear of being forgotten, slight self-deprecation, and insecurities (?)
__
__
Roman is far more modest than he pretends to be.

His world, made up of nothing except his imagination, is possibly the most personal thing to him; somewhere he can escape to whenever things become too overwhelming. Every single tiny detail in this world is designed and created by him and him alone. He can change and reshape the world in whatever way he likes, whenever he likes, and is only limited by his imagination. It truly is his safe space and there's nowhere else he'd rather be when overwhelmed.

This slowly changes the closer he gets to the other Sides.

Yes, he still adores his world and always finds it a comforting place to be whenever things become too much, but if it's possible at the time, he feels much better being around them. Even just being in their presence calms his nerves, or distracts him from whatever dark thoughts that are plaguing his mind. Usually, the others don't know when they're helping him because he refuses to display the pain on his face and he definitely never willingly tells them about whatever is hurting him at the time. But he always finds an excuse to be in their company whenever he needs it. And he's always grateful for it.

When he begins to notice the bags under Patton's eyes, the slight delay in his reaction to unintentional puns or dad jokes, and the wobble in his smile, Roman knows something is wrong. However, he only truly understands the problem when Thomas tries to make a new video, but seems a lot more depressed than usual. As it turns out, everyone, Patton especially, has been thinking a lot about one of Thomas's ex-boyfriends.

As usual, they all talk out the issue and figure out some sort of solution, but unfortunately, this doesn't completely solve Patton's problem. Later that night, Roman finds him curled up on the couch in the Common Room, not quite crying, but definitely not smiling. At the time, he doesn't know how to help him and simply offers to pour him a glass of water. The offer is turned down with a painfully fake smile and a weak wave as Patton sinks down to his room.

It takes a few days of deliberation, but Roman eventually decides on a way he can help Patton without letting Patton know that's what he's doing; he doesn't want the moral facet to think that he isn't healing, because he is, he just needs some company.

"Patton, could I borrow you for a moment? I'd like your opinion on something I've created!"

The older aspect smiles tiredly up at him and nods, standing up and making his way over to his friend. Roman lightly takes him by the arm and leads him to a door in his room. In it, there's a carved pattern of swirls and circles that melt into the brown mahogany wood. And although the door doesn't look all that old, an observant eye could spot the tiny scratches covering the golden door handle, as well as the little nicks and chips on the edge where it had been caught on something, or possibly slammed too hard. Roman can change that whenever he wants, but he finds that those tiny details give it a little bit of history. A little bit of meaning that can be seen by the human eye.

When they enter, the world around them is bright for a second. But eventually, they are able to see the landscape that has suddenly been reshaped around them. Obviously, previously designed and crafted by Roman, but only set up the second Patton enters the room.