You're Too Jealous

Snippet Request No.2

Requested by Chloca_Cola

Prompt: "I saw you with him/her/them!"
AU: Human
Pairing(s): Royality
Warnings: Accusations of cheating and insecurities (?)
__
__
Roman paces through his apartment, fingernails in between his teeth, and heart thudding furiously in his chest. How could he?! After three years of making beautiful memories, sharing secrets and inside jokes, promising each other a bright future of wedding rings, children, and dogs!

He wonders how he should confront him; Patton has never liked it when people raise their voice and honestly, even though Patton cheated on him, Roman still cares about how he feels. Before he can think anymore about it, he hears a key being inserted into the front door lock and feels his heart stop. Now he has no time to think about it. Just speak. Do something. Anything!

"I'm home! How's your day been-"

"I saw you."

Patton just stares, confusion clear in his eyes and eyebrows furrowing in worry. "Where? I didn't think you'd left the apartment today."

A sudden surge of anguish rushes through him and he gestures to the door. "I saw you with him! How could..." he trails off for a second, almost unable to believe what's happening, "How could you do this?"

It takes a few seconds for Patton to understand what Roman is implying, but when he does, he takes a deep breath and grips the white plastic bag in his hand tighter. "Roman, are you trying to accuse me of cheating on you? You know I would never do that, yet you have accused me of doing it multiple times! That guy is just a coworker who thoughtfully decided to walk me to get lunch because I felt like I was being watched by this woman in the car park across the street."

Oh no. Roman stands there frozen for a few seconds before trying to utter out an apology, but fails to do so when he realises how much he's messed up. "Patton, I just-"

"Tell me," Patton cuts him off, eyes still twinkling with a hurt and anger Roman rarely ever sees on him, "would you rather I have walked to the sandwich shop on my own? Even with that woman?"

"Of course not!"

Throwing his hands up, Patton lets out an infuriated sigh and takes a few steps back when Roman attempts to move towards him. "Why don't you trust me, Roman?! I barely talk to that particular coworker and we hugged once!"

"I'm sorry-"

Patton is never usually overcome with blind anger, but this was a subject they were both rather sensitive about, considering it had nearly ended their relationship twice. "Good."

Picking up his keys from the bowl on the kitchen counter, Patton storms to the front door and turns back to face Roman, who is rushing after him. "I need to get out for a few hours, I'll be at Virgil's. Don't call me unless there's an emergency."

And before Roman can say anything more about it, he's gone.