Scary in the Best Way

Snippet Request No.7

Requested by PrincessDofDarkness

Prompt: "I don't know anyone else who can make me feel this way."
AU: Sanders Sides/Original/No AU
Pairing(s): Moxiety
Warnings: A little bit of self-deprecation (?)
__
__

Virgil is feeling more nervous than usual. 

After having a more personal conversation with Logan than they usually ever would, he realised that his platonic relationship with Patton is changing. It's morphing into something much deeper, much more intimate than he had been expecting. Patton surely doesn't see him that way. He's too optimistic, positive, and enthusiastic about everything to care for someone as pessimistic, negative, and dull as Virgil? Or to care for him in the same way, at least. 

He stands outside of Patton's bedroom door, having been too scared to sink down and immediately transport himself to the moral facet's room. His hands are shaking in the pockets of his hoodies; his heart is drumming mercilessly against his chest; his eyes are squeezed shut as he tries to steady his heartbeat and breathing by taking deep breaths. What is he going to say? How do you tell your best friend that you're starting to fall for them? 

Whether it's fortunate or unfortunate, Virgil isn't sure, but Patton opens the door before he can knock. "Hey, Virgil! What can I do for you? And you know you can just come in, I'm not going to be mad, so you don't have to stand out here-"

"I like you."

There. It was out. Now all he has to do is swallow his pride and take the rejection calmly. But of course, Patton misunderstands the meaning of his words and smiles fondly. "Aw, I like you too, Virgil! Were you worried that I didn't? You can talk to me about anything you're anxious about, okay?"

Virgil bites his lip and shakes his head. "No, I mean-" he pauses and glances over Patton's shoulder into his room, "Could we talk in your room? Or did you come out here to do something?"

"Oh," Patton's smile falls and he nods gently, "sure we can. And no, I actually wanted to come see you because I just wanted to hang out, y'know?"

They make their way into Patton's room and sit down on the couch, knees knocking lightly as they do so. Virgil ignores the concerned look Patton is sending him and takes another deep breath, focusing completely on the brown carpet beneath his feet. "I like you, but not... not in a, you know, platonic way."

Patton finally seems to understand what he means and freezes, his eyes widening and filling with uncertainty. Why does he feel so unsure? Does he not know how to answer? Or does he not believe Virgil? Instead of following up his confession with any of those questions, he continues with the confession, trying to stall hearing Patton's answer for as long as possible. "You're just... kind and you're funny, and you've always believed in me, even when I acted like a total jerk to you guys a while ago. Whenever we're together, I feel safe and... and like I can really be myself; I don't have to hide anything. Well, anything other than this." He laughs, but it's quiet and painfully hollow. There's a tense moment of silence before he finishes his speech with, "I don't know anyone else who can make me feel this way."

The two of them are quiet for a few seconds, neither making any sort of movement towards or away from each other. Virgil doesn't know whether he should shift his focus on to the dampness of his palms or to the regret he can feel pooling in his chest, but he doesn't have much time to decide. A hand moves to his cheek and pulls him sideways slightly so Patton can press a sweet kiss to his cheek, and then another to his temple. "That feeling can be ours, then."

Their relationship is about to change completely and Virgil thinks it's a little scary, but it's scary in the best way.