Finding

Snippet Request No.7

Note: This snippet it linked to another two snippets I wrote called 'Drifting' and 'Leaning', so I'd read that one before starting this one. Thank you! Also, I had no idea what to name this, so I'm sorry if the name is terrible.

Requested by Chloca_Cola

Prompt: "There's nothing wrong with you."
AU: Human
Pairing(s): Logicality, past Logince, and implied Prinxiety
Warnings: Mention of breakups, mention of illness, mention of hospitals, brief mention of death and insecurity/self-negativity (?)
__
__
Logan drags his hand down his face as the work in front of him seems to pile up and increase by the minute, though he's been sitting in front of the same pile of paperwork for thirty minutes, so he doesn't know how that could be possible. It doesn't help that the stress of being recently dumped by Roman is weighing his body down like he's simply a lump of flesh.

He realises that it was going to happen sooner or later and that it was definitely the right thing to do considering his newfound romantic feelings for a certain coworker of his, but that doesn't make it hurt any less to lose his best friend. The worst part of it all is probably the fact that he can't seem to find the right words to reply; Roman must be feeling awful. And in a totally cliche and petty way, Logan is kind of hoping he feels that way, as most people do when a romantic partner breaks up with them.

But at the same time, he only wants Roman to be happy. That's his main wish.

Suddenly, he's knocked out of his thoughts when the object of his new romantic feelings bustles through the door with a stack of paperwork and suspicious red trails running down his cheeks, that look damp from where Logan is sitting. Has he been crying?

The abrupt sensation of his heart breaking at the thought of such a sweet person crying causes Logan to tense up and will the feeling away. He was dumped no more than a week ago, if he were to seek out another romantic relationship now, there's no doubt in his mind that he would regret it.

However, there's no harm in checking to make sure that a fellow coworker of his is okay, is there?

"Patton?" He speaks in a somewhat gentle tone, slowly making his way over to the warm hearted man and ignoring the fluttering in his stomach as he does so. "Are you alright? You seem upset."

Almost immediately, Patton nods at him and forces a painfully false smile on his face before quickly turning back to his desk. "I'm okay, thanks for asking, though! I mean, I should be the one asking you if you're okay. After the, you know, breakup..."

He trails off as Logan only sighs softly and gives him a sceptical look. That's when he realises he's not fooling anybody, especially not with the tear tracks down his cheeks or the damp puffy eyes. After a moment of trying to swallow the lump in his throat and biting back more tears, Patton laughs weakly and shakes his head. "No, I'm not okay, but I need to keep it together. I'm at work. This isn't the place for an emotional breakdown. Being emotional is... and- and it's probably..." he pauses to try and choose the correct word, "worse at work."

Logan feels a bullet of sympathy shoot through his chest at the slightly self-deprecating line and moves to pull up a chair so he can sit beside Patton at his desk. "Falsehood. There's nothing wrong with you. Being emotional isn't a bad thing. Perhaps to some people it's a weakness, but if you were completely void of feeling, you would be... you. And that would be worse than having any sort of 'mental breakdown' at work because you're..." he trails off, heart drumming loudly in his chest at the thought of complimenting him.

There's a moment of silence before Patton responds, a shy smile on his face and a soft pink flush to his cheeks. "You think so?"

"Yes, I do. Now, would you like to talk about what's bothering you?"

Patton's smile falters before he tells Logan about how his niece suffered a seizure an hour before and was rushed into the hospital; how they don't know what's wrong; how she's in critical condition; how the doctors don't know if she'll make it through the night without the right treatment.

After he finishes his story, tears are trickling down his cheeks again and Logan doesn't know what to do. Instead of saying anything more to try and comfort him, he takes a risk and offers Patton the cookie from his lunch, shuffling a little bit closer to wrap an arm around his shoulders, but chickens out before he actually goes through with it.

There are another few seconds of silence before Patton gently takes the cookie with one hand, grasps Logan's hand with the other, and pulls him sideways so he can lean over and press a soft kiss to his cheek. "Thank you, Logan. You're really sweet and your ex doesn't know what he's missing out on."

Logan would chuckle if the breath hadn't been stolen from his lungs at the sensation of Patton's lips brushing against his cheek. "Well, maybe that's true, but at least whatever you see in me isn't being wasted on the wrong person."

"Yeah! And maybe you'll find the right person soon?"

Taking a bold move, Logan smiles timidly. "Maybe I already have?"

Their eyes meet for a split second before Patton laughs breathlessly and shrugs, tucking a few pieces of hair behind his ear. "Maybe."

Logan's smile widens. Maybe he really has.