My Best Friend?

Requested by PrismSakura

Prompt: "I like to think we're more than just friends."

Pairing(s): Analogical

Warnings: Talk of emotional vulnerability (?)
___
___
Logan has a problem.

Now you see, this is very unusual for Logan Charles Blake Sanders (his parents couldn't decide on a middle name). Usually, if he finds himself struggling with something, a quick examination of each factor linking and causing that issue will determine the best solution. And, usually, he's content to put that solution into action. But the solution to this new problem is different.

It really sucks.

As well as being skilled at problem solving, he is also very skilled at hiding. More specifically, hiding how he feels. About anything. If he enjoys a meal made for him, he'll merely send his compliments to the chef and leave it at that.

There is no jumping for joy or bright exclamations of satisfaction, not that he has never reacted as such, or that he's unable to do so; he simply feels... weird doing it. Vulnerable. And he normally finds himself overthinking these reactions despite knowing for a fact that everyone exaggerates a moan after biting into a delicious pudding at least once.

But still, he keeps his emotional outbursts to a minimum, which leads into his newest and most recent problem: Virgil.

Ah, his (almost) endearingly paranoid, reclusive, and very pretty best friend. Always around when Logan needs him, never afraid to be himself if it's just the two of them, a man who completely trusts him with every fiber of his being. And yet, Logan feels as if he's betrayed that trust.

They always promise to be completely and two-thousand percent honest with each other, but Logan has been keeping one hell of a secret from him for the past seven months. The fact that he is actually capable of romantic attraction. More specifically, for him.

As he sits across from Virgil himself on the floor of his living room, Logan can barely keep these thoughts from slipping out because their close friendship has also apparently become a mildly affectionate friendship. Virgil constantly grabbing his hand whenever there is 'tea' to be spilled. 'Tea' meaning gossip, or scandalously exciting news. And wow, his hands are actually really soft.

"But this dude at work, Remy, definitely has a crush on a therapist that visits every afternoon on his lunch breaks." At Logan's confused stare, his lips twitch up into a smile. "Remy is the guy who literally refuses to take his sunglasses off."

"Oh! Of course, him."

Virgil snickers at the clear disdain in his best friend's voice, clearly remembering their first and last encounter. "I've already told you that he flirts with everyone except the guy he actually has feelings for. Don't get your panties in a twist, Nerd."

Logan smiles and rolls his eyes. "I don't appreciate being called 'doll' by a man I don't know."

With a nod and a shrug, Virgil places a hand on his forearm. "I get that, but he's apologised and is learning to read another person's vibe before giving them a nickname. Though he does still get it wrong sometimes. He really doesn't mean any harm."

"I know," he pushes up the glasses falling down his nose and desperately tries to ignore the warmth tingling through the sleeve of his shirt, "I'm only kidding. There's no genuine malice on my end."

"Good."

Virgil let's go of his arm and fits another puzzle piece into its correct gap. "It's actually kind of funny; I never expected him to go for someone like Mr Picani. You know, the therapist?"

And Logan can't stop the fond smile betraying his usually indifferent expression. "Yes, I've been listening."

"Okay," Virgil has a really nice smile and apparently, Logan's heart is very much aware of that fact. "Well, uh, Picani is much more... fidgety than him. And it's a lot easier to embarrass him than it is to embarrass Remy. Y'know?"

Logan nods. "Sometimes, though it is a rather cliche television and novel trope, opposites do attract. Not that people can't be attracted to others similar to them, that's how close friendships start, correct?"

There's a new tension between them and even Logan can feel it. Shouldn't he be the only one feeling awkward at the topic of friends becoming lovers?

Before he can think about this too much however, Virgil takes a deep breath and nods in agreement. "Like ours?"

"Like ours, yes."

"Well, actually... "

There's a pause that fills Logan's stomach with something that has the weight of vomit, but the consistency of air. It's nothing and everything at the same time. And he really wants to cut through this silence, but he's been taught better manners than that, so he waits.

"I've always... I just- I like to think we're more than just friends."

Whoa. Logan doesn't completely know how to respond to that. So, instead of saying a word, he leans forward.

And he's nearly ecstatic when Virgil meets him in the middle.