for that old feeling (is still in my heart)

summary: after being dragged to his best friend’s halloween party, Virgil reunites with an old crush from college.

pairing(s): prinxiety, background logicality, and background queer-platonic demus

warnings: strong language/swearing

notes: this is a lil one-shot for @coconut-cluster​‘s (on tumblr) autumn creators’ event for the prompt ‘pumpkin spice’! it’s almost midnight, so I’m going to use that one.
___
To say that Patton had gone overboard with the decorations would be… an understatement to say the least.

Stepping cautiously into the doorway, Virgil nearly bolts out the apartment building at the sight of so many bodies crowded together, intoxicated and high and god-knows what else. Blazing oranges collide with shadowy blacks, balloons strewn all around each room, though the kitchen and bathroom have been spared considering the safety risks, and of course there are full-blown plastic skeletons sitting at the dining table. One wearing a wolf mask and another adorning a witches hat.

Virgil can’t lie; he absolutely loves these party decorations and Halloween in general. But what he definitely doesn’t love is the large amount of people attending said party.

He huffs out a nervous breath and pushes his way towards the bathroom, where he plans to hide out for most of the night. Of course, Patton spots him first and grins, bounding over in his pillowy pumpkin costume and throwing his arms around Virgil’s shoulders in a hug. “I’m so glad you came! I love your costume.” A shirt that says ‘this is my halloween costume’. “Logan and I are just picking at the buffet, do you want anything?”

“Ah… Yeah, sure.”

Eating food, though a requirement for staying alive, has proven to be a difficult task for Virgil to remember to complete. So, he’s led to the buffet table and gladly throws a couple of salted nachos in his mouth, earning an eye roll from Logan, whose addiction to dipping sauce has become rather concerning. Only then does he notice his costume. “Uh, are you supposed to be a depressed pumpkin, or what?”

Logan, face vaguely pink under the fiery light of the lanterns scattered around them, takes a bite of a finger sandwich. “I’m a squash.”

“So, you guys are wearing… a couple’s costume?”

“Yeah,” Patton’s eyes glow with adoration as he glances back at his fiancée, “isn’t Logan so smart?!”

With an amused grin he’s sure Logan will understand, Virgil nods and folds his arms across his chest. “The smartest.”

After letting him know they would be right back, and that they were just picking up some more snacks from the store and leaving a friend of theirs in charge, he sighs and takes a seat on the couch, which is surprisingly not in use. His phone’s screen blares memes and band photos on Tumblr as he scrolls, attempting to completely ignore the world around him. Though his heart is still thundering in his chest, and his mind is playing the same prayer over and over like a broken record in his head. ‘God, please don’t let anybody talk to me.’

And, as if rising up from the depths of hell just to throw a middle finger up at God, a man approaches him and gently taps him on the shoulder. “Virgil?”

That voice reminds him of bittersweet times. He almost tries to ignore him, but finds it impossible to do so and lifts his head up to look at the man who has plagued his thoughts for five years. “Roman? Holy shit, I didn’t know you guys were still in touch!”

Roman Taylor. His biggest problem in college, but one of his closest friends; his grin still leaves Virgil feeling jittery and warm. “Yeah, I’m sorry we didn’t get to. My number changed and I couldn’t get to you. And when the Glasses Gays told me they’d began talking to you again, I was worried that you wouldn’t really want to talk to me anymore.”

He was rambling. Not out of nervousness (probably), but like he used to in college when they lived together; bubbly and just excited to get all of his thoughts out into the world! Virgil can’t stop the smile growing on his face. “It’s okay, I’d be the same.” He laughs lightly and shrugs, unable to stop the words from crawling up his throat. “I missed you, though.”

He immediately wants to trip into a volcano.

But before he can regret those words too much, he sees Roman’s dark skin flush brightly and the cogs turning in Virgil’s brain screech to an abrupt halt. “I missed you too, Virgil. Do you want to stay in touch this time? I swear I’ll take more care of my phone.”

That melodic laugh fills his ears for the first time since college and Virgil swallows, suddenly nostalgic and oh-so happy that he’d let himself get dragged to this party. “Definitely.”

They trade numbers and Roman sits beside him, offering him a pumpkin spice cookie he’d grabbed from the buffet.

A while later, they find themselves talking about college and are giggling about a prank played on one of their roommates, Draco. But talking about Draco quickly turns into talking about Draco’s huge crush on Roman’s brother. Then on how Logan used to have a crush on Roman before realising that Patton is the love of his life. Roman seems cool with it, especially since they’re friends. But Logan is engaged, Virgil is as single as they come and he still has a crush on him, reignited after seeing him again. Somehow, he thinks Roman wouldn’t be as cool with it. “Wow, that’s crazy. I had no idea.”

Roman grins. “He was sweet. Cute too, not gonna lie, but just not my type. And besides, he and Patton are perfect together, don’t you think?”

“Definitely. When did he tell you?”

“When we first got back in touch, I thought it was the sweetest thing ever!”

Oh god. Virgil’s brain is getting ideas. “Didn’t expect him to even tell you anything. He’s not exactly open about that sort of stuff.”

Roman nods in agreement, taking a sip of his cider. “True. That’s probably why he didn’t say anything to anyone in college.”

Maybe they’ll be able to laugh about it? If Virgil tells him, perhaps that’ll help him get over his feelings? He doesn’t really understand where the logic in that is, but it’s the only reason he has to finally just come out and say it. “Well. I didn’t know I had competition back then.”

He laughs. Roman doesn’t.

“Wait,” his eyes are wide, “did you like me too?”

Virgil shrugs, beginning to feel regret clog up his throat. “Maybe, why?”

Without warning, Roman’s hands are covering his eyes and he’s slumping down in his seat. Virgil’s stomach is sinking right along with him. He groans loudly into his palms and drags his fingers down his face. “I can’t believe this!”

“Uh, s-sorry. I shouldn’t have said anything.”

Roman instantly sits up and grabs his hand tightly. “No, no, no! I’m not upset or anything! I just…” he pauses, biting the inside of his cheek to stop a smile, “I really liked you too. And it just sucks that I didn’t tell you.”

He has to be kidding. There’s no way he’s being serious. Virgil has been crushing on this stupid, beautiful man for the past five years and he had reciprocated those feelings?! “Well then. Uh… what about now?”

“Now?”

Virgil pulls back and feels his face heating up. “Never mind, that was a really dumb question.”

They’re both quiet for a moment and only the low drone of people around them can possibly distract Virgil from how awkward he’s just made this interaction. Incense is clouding the room, though he’s sure it’s not supposed to do that, and he would choke on the vivid smell of pumpkin spice replacing the oxygen in the room if not for the fact that he’s finding it very difficult to breathe anyway.

“Actually, if you’re still interested, I was hoping to maybe take you out to dinner?”

Virgil still can’t breathe. “Really?”

And Roman’s smile still lights up the entire room. Not much of a surprise. “Yeah. You want?”

“Very much, as long as there’s nothing pumpkin spice flavoured wherever you take me.”