No Words

Snippet Request No.4

Requested by BarelyEvenAlive

Prompt: "I told you not to fall in love with me."
AU: Human
Pairing(s): Prinxiety with side Logicality
Warnings: None
__
__
"Well, this was one hell of a wedding, don't you think?"

Virgil smiles and nods. "Yeah. It was pretty cool." He then smirks and gazes up through his bangs. "Not that I could focus on them much with you staring at the me the entire time."

A chortle slips through Roman's lips and he rolls his eyes. "I'm sorry. I warned you that I would stare when you bought it. You just look... absolutely stunning in that tux."

"And I told you not to fall in love with me."

As he laughs and spins Virgil with one hand, then pulling him close and resting his free hand on his waist, Roman glances quickly over at the newly-wedded couple dancing in the middle of the room. He smiles softly as they hold each other close, surely whispering 'I love you's and loving words, a private conversation they'll both remember years into the future.

Virgil shrugs in his arms and grips his shoulder a little tighter. "Actually, it's gotten me thinking about..."

Eyes widening at the implication of Virgil's unfinished sentence, Roman tenses up and stares at him in surprise. Ever since he had met him, Virgil had always been adamantly against getting married. Marriage itself was a scary concept to him, so the thought of going through it himself seemed to always freak him out.

It is also one of the only reasons Roman had never expressed his romantic feelings towards him. "Really? Haven't you always been iffy about such a commitment?"

"Yeah, but..." he pauses and Roman sees his gaze flicker over to Logan and Patton, the grooms, "It seems nice to have someone you can trust enough to actually... go for it. Y'know?"

Roman nods and feels a strong thudding against his chest. It's suddenly a lot more difficult to breathe and images of sweet kisses, warm embraces, and strong promises light up his eyes for a second before the nerves set in. Sure, they're dancing together and yes, Roman is pretty sure that Virgil has been trying to flirt with him for a few months. But what if his feelings weren't reciprocated?

He hums in response and pulls Virgil just a little bit closer. "Mhm... I want something like that one day."

Breathing out a somewhat anxious laugh, Virgil nods, his chin resting on Roman's shoulder and his arm gently grasping the back of his blazer. "Yeah, well, I'm free to get married whenever." He laughs again, but Roman decides to take those words as some sort of opening. Some sort of sign.

"Is that a proposal?" He smirks.

A pause. "Is that a yes?"

Both can feel the other stiffen nervously at the suggestion, but even so, they continue to sway from side to side, following the melody of 'The Way You Look Tonight' being played at a slower speed on the piano.

Roman doesn't know what to say. Does Virgil really mean it? Or is it simply playful banter between friends? He bites his lip and sighs heavily, leaning his head on Virgil's shoulder. As they continue to dance, he hears Virgil hesitantly speak up. "Have I made you uncomfortable?"

"No, not at all." Roman reassures him and, with a sudden rush of adrenaline or something similar, he goes for it. "I'm just worried that you didn't mean it."

The sharp but almost inaudible gasp next to his ear makes his heart stutter. He makes sure to tighten his grip so that Virgil can't find a reason to flee the situation, despite kind of wanting to himself. But if he does that, he knows he'll never forgive himself.

As it turns out, he never needed to worry about that because after a moment or two of processing his words, Virgil pulls himself closer to him and almost tries to hide within the soft material of his blazer. He chuckles fondly at his shy friend and gently lets go of his hand, moving his arm to wrap around his waist. "Did you, you know, mean it?"

Virgil brushes the tiny hairs on the back of Roman's neck, sending a shiver down his spine. "Maybe. Do you want me to mean it?"

This is going to go around in circles if Roman doesn't just pluck up the courage and say, "Yes."

It goes silent for the longest five seconds of Roman's life before Virgil smiles and worms his arms tighter around his neck. "Maybe we should try dating first before we think about getting married, Princey."

A wide grin stretches across Roman's face and he tries to ignore the pounding of his heart so he can concentrate on speaking. "Really? You're not joking, are you?"

"Nope. Unless you are. Then, we-"

Roman snorts and holds him tighter, pressing his face into Virgil's shoulder. And though Virgil doesn't say anything more until the song ends, the fingers softly carding through his hair; the second heart he can feel drumming against his chest; the quiet humming he can hear...

No words are needed.