Drifting

Snippet Request No.6

Requested by StarOfLightning

Prompt: [text read thirty minutes ago]
AU: Human
Pairing(s): Logince, implied Logicality, and implied Prinxiety
Warnings: Strong language, implied breakup, and mention of cheating
__
__
Roman sighs softly as his phone's text tone goes off and reaches his ears again. He loves his boyfriend, but it's 2AM and all Roman wants to do is sleep.
__
__
Nerd💕: I'm sorry about being so blunt before, but my employer was getting irritated with my texting during work.

Roman: It's okay, I get it.
__
__
Wait, he forgot to add kisses onto the end of his message. Why doesn't that bother him as much as it should? Will Logan notice and get upset? Just as he's about to send kisses to make up for forgetting to do so before, his text tone sounds again.
__
__
Nerd💕: Thank you, I'm glad you understand. How has your day been?

RomanNot bad. Haven't done much, just hung out at the theatre for a few hours and got introduced to a new tech guy, Virgil. He's moody as fuck. What about you?
__
__
When did their conversations become so boring and predictable? Roman can remember a time where all they talked about was how they could fit Crofters jelly into different recipes and how they would do so together when Logan came to visit again. Does Logan think their conversations are boring too? Is he just talking to Roman because he feels obliged to?

Does Roman feel that way too?
__
__
Nerd💕: Sorry to hear that, but maybe you should give him a chance and get to know him?

Roman: Maybe.
__
__
Something like anger begins to bubble in Roman's chest. How is this fair? They used to be so close and now they're just barely scraping by. Running on fumes.

Why does Logan want Roman to 'get to know' this new tech guy? And why doesn't Roman care anymore?
__
__
Nerd💕: My apologies I forgot to answer your question.
__
__
Oh. So he had. How did Roman not notice?
__
__
Nerd💕: My day has been okay. Work is tiring, but Patton, one of my coworkers, makes it a little better. Very optimistic, sweet, and he can make me laugh. He's a rather enthusiastic and energetic man, much like you, just with less of an ego.

Roman: Rude. And that's cool, I'm glad you've made friends.

Nerd💕: Yeah. He's great, I think you'd like him.

Roman: Maybe.
__
__
Did Logan like this 'Patton'? If so, why would he make it so obvious? Why doesn't Roman care? He used to get so jealous whenever a guy would try and make a move on Logan, but here his boyfriend was, explicitly talking about another man as if they were together and Roman couldn't care less.

It's over, isn't it?
__
__
Nerd💕: What about this 'Virgil'? Other than being "moody", what's he like?

Roman: He's a little reserved, I think. But he's good at his job and even though we argue a lot about how I'm apparently "high-maintenance", he still insists on checking with me specifically before making ANY decision. So, independent, but oddly dependent at the same time? And he's pretty cute.

Nerd💕: He sounds interesting. I do think you should get to know him, maybe you'd get closer?

Roman: Maybe.
__
__
It was over.

Logan doesn't even care that he called another man 'cute'. He's practically throwing him into this tech guy's arms, who neither of them know too well. He is desperate to get rid of him. Their relationship has turned into blunt conversations, pathetic excuses, speedy goodbyes, and such a high level of nonchalance that it makes Roman feel physically ill.

Neither of them care anymore. Do they care about each other? Yes, but if Logan was cheating on Roman, the only reason he'd be angry is that Logan would stoop so low.

There's nothing anymore.
__
__
Roman: I think we need to talk, Logan.

Nerd💕: Of course, what about?

Roman: I feel like we're drifting apart. This long distance thing was working, but I don't think much would change even if you still lived a couple of apartments down. I care about you, of course I do, but I feel like we should go back to being friends. Best friends, like we used to be. You know? I do love you, but just not in the way I used to. I'm sorry, Logan and thank you for treating me so well.
__
__
There. It's over now. Roman is free to flirt with anyone he wants. He can get to know this tech guy, if he wants to, and not feel guilty about it. They both want this, he knows that. It hurts, but they'll be okay.
...
Why hasn't the text tone gone off yet? After a while, Roman checks his phone and feels his stomach drop.
__
__
[text read thirty minutes ago]
Roman: I feel like we're drifting apart. This long distance thing was working, but I don't think much would change even if you still lived a couple of apartments down. I care about you, of course I do, but I feel like we should go back to being friends. Best friends, like we used to be. You know? I do love you, but just not in the way I used to. I'm sorry, Logan and thank you for treating me so well.