Marks and Hidden Meanings

Snippet Request No.5

Note: This is connected to another two oneshots I wrote that were also connected called 'Over My Heart' and 'The Ice-Cream Incident of 2015'.

Requested by Clianta233

Prompt: "You never mattered to me."
AU: Human
Pairing(s): Platonic Logince, Rodger x Roman for a bit, and implied Prinxiety
Warnings: Strong language, breakups, and lying/deception (?)
__
__
Roman feels warm, safe, and- Wait.

"Baby, what's that on your shoulder?" He asks, his heart thundering frantically in his chest. It can't be. Rodger wouldn't lie to him, especially not about something like this. He wouldn't.

But the panicked gleam in Rodger's eyes tells Roman everything he needs to know.

He lied.

He lied.

Immediately, he pushes himself out of bed and brushes his hand through his hair, mumbling quiet 'oh my god's and trying to steady his shallow breaths. Rodger stands up soon afterwards and tries to grab his arm, to tell him that he's got it all wrong, that this was just a tattoo he'd gotten when he was younger. But his attempts at fixing his mistakes are futile. Roman knows.

"Roman, please wait." Rodger begs, watching as his boyfriend grabs a red duffel bag and opens the top drawer of his dresser, taking out multiple items of clothing and packing them away. His heart aches as the bag is zipped up and carried to the door. "Come on, you haven't even let me explain myself yet. This is kind of unfair- Roman! You know I didn't mean to hurt you. You have to wait--"

Cutting him off, Roman swings open the front door and spins to face his apparent 'soulmate'. "No. No, I do not have to wait. I don't have to do anything for someone as deceitful and awful as you! Pack your things and leave."

As Roman begins to step out the door, Rodger moves forward and tries to close the door before he can get out. "Roman, please!"

Roman turns to him again and pokes his chest roughly. "What were you thinking? Did you really think you were going to get away with this for the rest of our lives?!" He pauses to glance at the half-closed door, "Why would you do this? I thought you actually cared about me. But lying to me, deceiving me, pretending to be someone you're not does not show that you love me! That basically says, 'You never mattered to me'! Now, when I get back, you and your stuff had better be gone."

And with that, he leaves the apartment.
__
__
With trembling fingers, Roman takes his phone out of his back pocket and dials Logan's number, whispering pleads for him to just pick up the damn phone! After three rings, the comforting familiar voice of his best friend echoes through the phone's speaker. "Salutations, Roman."

His throat gets tighter; he can barely get the words out. "Logan... He just... He-"

Even though he knows that Logan will help, that everything will be okay in the end, his words dissolve into sobs and Logan's voice burns with concern and curiosity. "Roman? Who did what? Rodger? Or someone I am not aware of?"

He's rambling. Something he doesn't tend to do unless he's nervous, feeling extra passionate about something, or worried out of his mind. Roman knows that it's a mix of the first and last ones. Suddenly, an image of him and Logan pops into his mind, and he's just so grateful to have such a loyal and wonderful person in his life, especially since he's his best friend. Like a brother to him. "Rodger... He lied, Logan. He lied about everything."

"About what?"

Roman takes a deep breath, still hardly believing it himself. "Rodger... He isn't my soulmate. He faked the mark to fool me into thinking he was."

There's a pause that only lasts a second, but it's one of the longest seconds of Roman's life. "I see." Logan's voice has turned steely and Roman knows that he's secretly plotting the murder of Rodger and how they can make it look like an accident. But in the end, he won't go through with exacting any sort of revenge on the man. He's too logical and sweet to do such a thing. "Come over. I'll make you some tea and you can stay the night whilst that bastard packs his things."

Knowing that Logan doesn't swear often makes the fact that he just called Rodger a 'bastard' much funnier and more meaningful, and Roman engraves this moment into his memory. Sure, it's not the most pleasant situation to remember, but hearing Logan swear was just priceless! Unintentionally, he chuckles weakly and hums in agreement as he starts in the direction of his best friend's apartment. When Logan asks him why he's laughing, Roman shrugs and smiles fondly down at the pavement below his feet. "I just... love you a lot, Microsoft Nerd."

Another much shorter pause washes over the two of them, but it's soon broken by a rare genuine chortle from the other side of the phone. "Even in a situation like this, you still manage to think of such creative nicknames. Truly admirable."

Roman laughs. He knows what that means really.