All Of A Sudden

Pairing(s): Platonic Logince, platonic Analogical, background platonic Moxiety, and Roman has an implied crush on Virgil (it's not extremely focused on)

Warnings: Strong language, sink holes, road accidents, mention of blood and injury, mention of death, and panicking (?)
___
___
"Damn, there's gonna be one hell of a storm tonight."

Logan rolls his eyes and chuckles at the worry in his friend's voice, flipping the page of his book as he takes another sip of his coffee. "Don't worry, Virgil. It'll be fine. And if you get too scared- Wait, is Patton there with you?"

The familiar gruff voice of his friend confirming that Patton, his roommate, was there with him reaches his ears and Logan smiles in relief. He cares for his friends deeply, but it's very late, and Logan doesn't know how much he can deal with visitors at 2AM. "Good. Well, if you get too scared, Patton will be there to comfort you, correct?"

"I think you're forgetting that Patton isn't too good with storms either, Pocket Protector."

"Yes," Logan agrees slowly, flipping another page of his book, "but he's a lot better with them than you are. I apologise if that sounds like a bad thing, I don't mean it to."

A huff of laughter reassures him that Virgil understands what he's trying to say. "Yeah... If anything happens I'll let you know."

"You'll be fine." He checks his watch and sighs regrettably, seeing that it is almost 11PM when he usually goes to bed at around 10-10:30PM. "We should both be heading to bed now. Tell Patton to do so, as well."

Virgil snorts. "That's cute. You think I sleep."

Closing his book, Logan glances over at the paperwork sitting on his desk and ignores the dread-filled clench of his heart as he realises that huge pile of work is due in for next week. He laughs weakly at Virgil's claim and shakes his head fondly. "You'd better get some sleep tonight at least. Your thesis is due in a couple of weeks and you need to get it finished."

The twenty-two year old on the other side of the phone fakes a sob and Logan hears a thump, immediately knowing that it was caused by his friend throwing himself on his bed, as they had had this conversation many times before. Virgil's muffled voice groans something about Logan being the worst friend ever, and when Logan asks him why, he is merely given an angry muffled grunt as a response.

After a few more seconds of quiet conversation, Logan hangs up the phone and curls up in his blankets, closing his eyes and letting sleep pull him under.

He doesn't dream of anything, not really having much to dream about, considering he hadn't done much that day other than nap and do work. And despite doing work all day, he still has so much left to complete. Usually, he wouldn't take naps during the day unless he had struggled to sleep the night before or unless he was unwell, but he simply... couldn't be bothered to do anything else. What was the point?

Later in the night, at around 3AM, he hears an almost deafening crash outside of his apartment complex. Unfortunately, this wakes him up and he feels his heart thudding frantically in his chest as his brain tries to come up with causes of the sound. And although there is still the heavy 'pitter patter' of rain hitting his bedroom window, he doubts that the storm outside would cause such a crash; it was a typical heavy storm, nothing too chaotic.

Instead of pondering over it any longer, he slips out of bed and listens carefully for any other sounds that could explain it, not too willing to move from his bed completely. After a few seconds of near silence, he hears a car horn beep in almost panicked state.