Forgetting Her

Requested by:-_X-Menger_-

Prompt: Would you just listen to me for two seconds?

Pairing(s): Platonic Logince (I chose platonic because, for this ship, it’s my kryptonite)

Warnings: Strong language, death, disowning of family, implied homophobia, and pregnancy
___
___

So, Roman has upset Logan again.

Of course, he never likes upsetting him, but he supposes he’s just not the observant type of guy. Because, apparently, his best friend of fourteen years has found something to be angry with Roman about and, although he is the most rational man Roman has ever known, he is refusing to even breathe in his direction.

Once this has lasted for three days, which is three days too many in Roman’s opinion, he manages to corner his friend in the kitchen after breakfast. “Alright Specs, what did I do?”

Logan says nothing for a few seconds, simply stacking plates in their kitchen cupboard and drying his hands with a tea towel lying on the counter beside him. If he’s surprised or saddened by Roman’s question, his expression certainly doesn’t show it as he turns to look at him. “Last Friday, what was the date?”

“The first...”

For a few blissful moments, Roman wonders why on earth the date is relevant to Logan’s reason of resentment towards him. But then there’s a certain weight hanging around his shoulders, over his arms; his jacket is now made of lead. Could he really have forgotten her so easily? “Oh... Oh my god, Logan, I’m so sorry.”

“My family holds nothing over your head,” Logan begins, crushing his best friend’s heart as his voice breaks with emotions he is usually too afraid to express, “but you must admit that my mother loved you like you were her own. And to her, you were. Just before she passed away, she asked us both to take care of each other and to, please, keep her memory alive for as long as we could. Or have you forgotten that too?”

Suddenly, his throat is too tight and his lungs are breathing in reverse. “Logan, I could never forget about her—”

“And yet, you did!”

“Would you just listen to me for two seconds?”

At the fatigue in Roman’s tone, the kitchen falls silent, only the gentle drops of tap water hitting the bottom of their sink whispering between their quiet breaths. Roman combs his fingers through his fringe, feeling grease and sweat coat his hand. Gross. “Logan, I love your mother. She was a selfless and incredible woman. And the only reason the anniversary of her death may have slipped my mind is that-”

He pauses, suddenly unwilling to continue.

Logan’s eyebrows furrow; he’s more observant than Roman will ever be. “Did something happen?”

“I... Yes.” Roman inhales deeply, begging his racing heart to just slow down. “I received a phone call from my father.”

What?

Ah, the ‘are-you-fucking-kidding-me’ look. Roman is rather used to that one coming from Logan. “Yes, he wanted to let me know that they have moved back to Seville and that my mother is pregnant with another child.” His lips pull upwards weakly, more of a bitter movement of muscles than anything. “And after a few subtle digs at my ‘lifestyle’, he hung up. I was... perhaps a little bit more distracted than usual afterwards. So, I forgot the date. I’m truly sorry, Logan.”

Between the two of them, a grand total of zero words are spoken before Logan pulls Roman into a fierce hug. He’s never been an affectionate person, but Roman is his brother.

And all they want is to take care of each other.