Leaning

Snippet Request No.8

Note: This snippet it linked to another snippet I wrote called 'Drifting', so I'd read that one before starting this one. Thank you! Also, I had no idea what to name this, so I'm sorry if the name is terrible.

Requested by Chloca_Cola

Prompt: "This wasn't supposed to happen."
AU: Human
Pairing(s): Prinxiety, past Logince, and implied Logicality
Warnings: Strong language, mention of breakups, arguing/fighting, and self-deprecation (?)
__
__
Roman watches as Virgil talks to the director about the timing of the dimmer lighting, his hand reaching up to brush a few strands of hair out of his face. He wants to start some sort of conversation, but whenever he manages to gather enough confidence to, all he can think about is the fact that Logan hasn't replied to his breakup text in two days. And though he knows that Logan has never really been good at handling his feeling or dealing with situations like this, Roman also knows that Logan prefers to be direct and doesn't enjoy being late for anything, which would likely include replying to text messages. Sighing softly, he places his head in his hands and mumbles, "This wasn't meant to happen." He was supposed to break up with Logan, get a solemn response of agreement, then they could remain as friends, and move on. But no.

"Hey, you doing okay?"

Flinching at the sudden voice that interrupts his thoughts, Roman looks up to see Virgil hesitantly making his way over to where he's sitting, a concerned frown on his face. In an attempt to ease whatever nerves the techie was feeling, he offers a weak smile and shrugs. "Yeah, I'm fine."

However, Virgil doesn't seem to believe him, taking a seat beside him and offering him a jelly bean. Roman's smile becomes a little more genuine as he thanks the man and takes a red one, smirking at the quiet offended gasp Virgil lets out. "A red one? Wow."

Roman tries to laugh, but it comes out a little more choked than he intends it to. Throwing aside any nerves about being so social and getting rather personal with a guy he doesn't know too well, Virgil crosses his legs and turns to look at him properly. "Seriously, dude. Is something wrong? You've been really quiet for a couple of days and we all know that it takes a lot of effort for you to stop talking," he chuckles feebly and is relieved at the small smile that crosses Roman's face, "but with being so quiet, you've also seemed a little... sad? I know we haven't talked much, but if you need to rant or get something off your chest, I'm not one for gossip."

It takes a moment for Roman to choose the right words, but eventually, he flashes Virgil a guilty smile. "I broke up with my boyfriend two days ago. It was long-distance, so I had to do it over text since he wouldn't be able to visit for a while. And I know that people say that long-distance relationships never work, but... I feel as if we would have drifted apart anyway. He hasn't replied yet, which isn't like him and I'm just scared. We used to be best friends and I don't want to lose him."

For a few seconds, Virgil processes what he's been told. Roman anxiously picks at the stitching in his shirt, but is surprised by an abrupt weight against his side and shoulder. He looks down at the techie, who has moved sideways to lean on his shoulder, and feels both confused about the very unpredictable action, and moved that Virgil would do so considering his somewhat reclusive personality. After a few seconds of silence, Virgil clears his throat awkwardly. "Sorry if this is weird, I'm not good at comforting people. Is this alright?"

"Yeah," Roman mutters with a smile and shifts so he can somewhat return the gesture by leaning back, "and you're doing pretty good at comforting me. Thanks, Virge."

Bowing his head to hide a shy smile, Virgil shrugs loosely. "Anytime."