15: All He Needs

(Jimin POV)

The quiet beeping of moniters greeted me as I began to wake up. I opened my eyes, squinting at the bright lights above. I blinked a few times before looking around.

I tried to move my arm to rub my blurry eyes, but it felt awfully sore. With a quick glance at it, I knew why. A thick IV needle was in my vein, securely taped in place at thw crease of my elbow.

I sighed, closing my eyes again. As much as I didn't want to remember the events of the previous day, they were burned into my mind. I had finally allowed myself to accept that I was in love with Yoongi, and at the same time, I accepted that I'd have to love him from afar... because nothing would ever happen between us. That kiss on the forehead he gave me...it must've been a fever dream. The way he repeatedly apologized to me in the car, the way he wanted to cry when he told Jin about how guilty he felt for not taking care of me... Yoongi would never do that.

I opened my eyes again, the oxygen mask over my mouth and nose felt suffocating. I ripped it off with my free hand, throwing it across the room. It unplugged from the moniters, causing the machine's alarms to go off. Almost immedietly, the door to my room slid open.

I was about to complain to the nurse, but I froze. It wasn't a nurse who came in...

It was Yoongi.

I sat up quickly, my eyes wide as I watched him come closer.

"Jimin, you're finally awake! But... are you okay? Why are the machines going off?" He ran back out out the door before I could even say anything. Yoongi came back only seconds later, two nurses and Seokjin in tow.

"Sir, you can't be in here. " One of the nurses was telling Yoongi, escorting him back outside.

"It's fine." Seokjin said, as he quickly made his way to my bedside, "The results came back, everything is okay. No signs of infection."

It almost seemed like the whole room breathed a sigh of relief.

Jin walked over to me, taking a seat on the edge of the bed. He then gently pulled me to him, hugging me softly.

"You had me really worried, kid. When Yoongi said you weren't with him..." Jin said quietly, I peeked over at Yoongi, who was standing in the corner of the room, his shoulders slumped.

"It's not his fault, really. " I bit my lower lip, "I ran away from him. I'll tell you all about it..if you let me talk to Yoongi first."

Jin sighed, realeasing me from the hug. He simply nodded. One of the nurses handed him the new oxygen line they had prepared. Jin slipped it under my nose and secured it.

" Don't take this one off. One of the nurses will bring you something to eat soon. Yoongi said you probably haven't eaten for a while."

Jin left after giving a few instructions to the nurse. She checked a few things and then made her way out the door as well. Soon, it was just me and Yoongi, a heavy silence filling the room.

" Why'd you leave?" Yoongi spoke first. He walked closer, taking a seat on the chair next to my bed, "If you were feeling sick, you could've told me. I would've drove--"

"I didn't feel sick. " I interrupted him, "I just...I didn't want to be a burden. You and your girlfriend were having a good time and I--"

"Jimin." Yoongi's voice was stern. "You weren't a burden. "

"No, I was. You two were talking and flirting the whole time. It was clear I didn't belong there. Kirang kept saying my name wrong, and when I tried to make conversation, she would ignore me. If you had wanted to go out on a date with her, you could've just told me so..." I felt tears sting my eyes. I looked away quickly, laying down on my side so I was facing away from Yoongi.

"Jimin..." Yoongi let out a soft sigh, "I'm... really sorry. I didn't know that's how you felt...I just hadn't seen her in a long time. I didn't tell Kirang where we would be or anything, she just appeared out of no where... I...I really regret acting the way I did. She convinced me that you had come back to the hospital..." Yoongi was quiet for a while before he spoke up again.

His voice was deeper, more raspy, as if he was holding back his emotions.

"I don't know why I trusted her...I was stupid. I was so worried about you, I was scared you would die... You're my only friend... I'm sorry. I'll do whatever it takes to make it up to you. I will also make Kirang apologize for the way she acted..."

I let him talk. The knot in my throat was choking me. Even if I wanted to talk, I couldn't. I know I would start crying if I did.

"Jimin...please say something? I... seriously regret my actions. You've been nothing but kind, and caring. I'm sorry for all those times I tried to push you away... I'm sorry I didn't realize until yesterday what a great person you are. I'm not good with words..."

Yoongi stood and walked to the side of the bed I was facing. He kneeled down, until he was staring right into my eyes, his gaze piercing my soul.

"I'm very thankful for you. My family hasn't even bothered to visit since I came here, and you haven't left my side." Yoongi frowned, his finger reaching out to wipe away a tear that had slipped down my cheek.

"You were right, you know. I can't fight this alone. I always say I'm dying, but I think maybe I should fight harder. I'd really like if we kept each other company and fought through this together...can we?"

I wanted to reach out, to touch Yoongi. To confess to him, to help him through his sickness...but right now, all he seemed to need was a friend. If he wanted that, I'd do that.

I nodded, making him smile. It wasn't just any smile, it was the smile he had given Kirang. A wide, genuine smile that made little creases appear at the corner of his eyes. Knowing I was the cause of it somehow made my heart flutter happily.

I think maybe now, I really had something to live for, something to fight for.