Chapter Four

More for you all! Have fun!

Golden light filtered into my room through the blinds over my windows, and I groaned slightly. The first thing I noticed when I came to was the pounding in my head. I reached up and felt my forehead to find no fever. Ugh, I have to go to school then. Yawning, I sat up and looked at the clock on my bedside table. I gasped and my eyes widened at the time. I only have ten minutes before I'm late!

Throwing off the covers, I jumped up and started rushing to get my school uniform on. I ran to the bathroom, quickly brushing my teeth and running a comb through my hair. I didn't have time to put anything in it to keep the frizz down so I had to braid it hastily. I knew I looked like a mess, but it didn't matter at this point. I grabbed my bag along with the essentials and headed toward the door. No time for breakfast! I thought as I literally hopped out the door, trying to get my shoes on.

I used the special key Mr. Pheles had given me and opened the door to the cram school before speed walking down the hall and into Mr. Okumura's classroom. Even Rin's already here! I thought as I entered the room. Suguro glared at me as I set my dropped my bag and sat down heavily in my seat.

"What's up with you?" Suguro grumbled. "Man, even Rin's here."

"My alarm clock didn't go off this morning," I muttered, just about fed up with his constant attitude, and the pounding headache wasn't making anything better. It took all I had not to snap at him. If I were back at my old school where I knew people, I would have already yelled, but I had promised myself and my brother that I'd start new. I rubbed my temples as the bell rang, and Mr. Okumura entered the room.

"Good morning class. I have news from Mr. Pheles; we're going on a mission today." I internally groaned at the news. Maybe I should have just stayed in bed this morning. "I apologize for the late notice, but I only got the orders this morning. We are going to be heading to a school in the next town over. There have been a few disturbances there within the past few days, and they've gotten increasingly worse. The principal contacted Mr. Pheles and he decided to send us in for a practice exercise. You will excused from the rest of your classes when we get back." The class got up and followed him out the door when he motioned for us to follow him.

Soon enough, we were aboard the train to take us to the next town. I leaned my head against the cool glass of the window and sighed, just then realizing I hadn't taken any painkillers. "Hey, (Y/N), are you okay?" I opened one eye to see Rin sitting across from me. He had a frown on his face and concern in his eyes. I closed my eye and nodded.

"Woke up with a headache this morning and forgot to take something for it," I told him quietly.

"Are you sure you should be here?" he asked, obviously worried. "I can always tell Yukio you're not feeling well." I shook my head at his offer.

"No, it's fine, really. It'll go away eventually." Rin didn't say anything to oppose my statement. I just continued to lean against the cool window with my eyes closed, hoping it would do something to ease my headache. Luck didn't seem to be on my side, though, as it never did die down.

When we got to our station, I followed Rin off the train without a word. We walked a few blocks to the school and stopped outside. Mr. Okumura turned to give us our instructions. "Now, we do not have details on what is causing the disturbances, but we are led to believe that it is a lower to middle class demon which should be easy for you exwires to handle. We'll be pairing up." Uh oh. " Miwa and Okumura. Shima and Moriyama. Takara and Kamiki. (L/N) and Suguro." Uh oh, I thought again as my fears were confirmed. Today is just not my day, is it.

I slowly meandered over to stand next to Suguro as Mr. Okumura gave us directions. Suguro crosses his arms over his chest and glared down at me. I played with my rings as I listened to where we're supposed to be heading. Suguro and I were taking the West wing of the school. "Come on," he grumbled when Mr. Okumura dismissed us. I almost had to jog to keep up with his long strides as we headed to our section of the school. He slowed his pace as we entered the school. I contemplated getting out a sword, but I didn't have a choice when Suguro said, "Aren't you supposed to be some accomplished sword fighter?" I nodded hesitantly. "Well where the hell is your sword? Don't tell me we're walking into a possible fight and you don't have a weapon," he growled.