Chapter Twenty-Five

Here's a new chapter for the most wonderful readers! This has fluff in it at the beginning which some of you have asked for. I'm always open to suggestions and constructive criticism, so don't be afraid to let me know. I'm working with a few requests/suggestions now for future chapters, don't be afraid to send those in as well. Anyway, I always talk too much, so here we go!

The TV buzzed with some news program I wasn't interested in as I read my favorite books series. It was about an assassin and a mercenary who became the best pair of thieves ever known. I had invested in all the books, and this was my second time reading through them. They never got old. I sat quietly, save an occasional chuckle from a joke or a bit of sarcasm from the book.

I was so immersed in my book that I jumped when there was a knock on the door. "Come in," I called before grabbing my bookmark and placing my book on the desk by my bed. The door opened slowly, and my eyes met the person I had been wanting to see for the past three days. I had been in the hospital for five days, two of which I had been unconscious.

Bon slowly made his way into the room and closed the door behind him. In short, he looked like a mess. His hair was unkempt and dark bags hung under his eyes. His eyes were also bloodshot, and he just looked exhausted. He looked like he hadn't gotten a decent sleep in the past week. Without a word, I motioned for him to come over and sit next to me. He shuffled over and fell gracelessly into the chair beside my bed. His head hung low, and he refused to make eye contact with me.

"Bon?" I said quietly when I saw his shoulders start to shake. I reached out and put a hand over his which we clasped on his lap. He flinched when my hand touched his, and I frowned deeply. I somehow managed to get my small hand wedged in between his larger ones, squeezing one of his hands tightly. "Hey," I murmured. "It's okay. I'm okay." That seemed to get his attention.

"But you almost weren't," he snapped, shocking me. Almost immediately, he seemed to settle. "I'm sorry," he said, his voice thick with emotion. "I'm sorry. I should have been here. I should have done something."

"Bon," I said, trying to gain his attention again. "Bon, it's okay."

"It's not," he insisted, running an very shaky hand through his hair. "When Juzo found you," he began, his voice hitching slightly. "Damnit," he cursed. He took his hand from mine and put it to his forehead. I put my other hand on his arm, trying to calm him.

"Bon. Stop and listen to be for a minute," I soothed. He didn't seem to hear me. He seemed too caught up in his own, sure to be racing, thoughts.

"Damn, it's all my fault, (Y/N). I'm so sorry. I couldn't do a damn thing to help you when I saw you. I just froze. I couldn't do anything. It's all my-" I cut him off, tired of his self pitying.

"Ryuji." That seemed to get his attention. I honestly would have been a little scared if it hadn't. He looked up sharply, his eyes wide and wet with the remnants of tears in his eyes as he stared at me. I had expected that reaction. It was the first time I had called him by his first name, after all. "Ryuji, I want you to listen to me," I said, putting my hands on his cheeks to make sure he was listening. "This was on one's fault. This was not my fault. And this was most certainly not your fault, in anyway shape or form," I told him, staring into his deep brown eyes. "This was the act of a madman. No one could have expected it. No one could have stopped it."

"But-" he said, trying to argue, but I cut him off again, shushing him gently.

"No. It was not your fault. I would never blame you for something you had no control over," I explained softly, but not without conviction. "It was not your fault," I repeated, tucking a loose strand of dark hair behind his ear. "Do you understand?" I asked softly, and he nodded in response. "Come here," I said, patting the spot on the bed next to me.