Chapter Twenty-Seven

Special shout out to silvergrizzly who inspired this chapter!

Anyway, this chapter is kinda lengthy, but I hope you enjoy it! Comment and vote to tell me what you think!

I scribbled on my paper, trying to make sense of the math homework in front of me. Bon had gotten all my homework while I was in the hospital, but two and a half weeks was still a long time to be without a proper teacher. I was tough getting caught up in my work, but I could already see the light at the end of the tunnel. The only thing stumping me was this math homework in front of me. Squaring negatives and graphs and a whole lot of numbers that didn't make sense. Since I wasn't allowed to do any physical training yet, I was stuck back at the dorm while the others finished up their classes.

"I hope I'm not bothering you, Miss (L/N)," I heard from behind me, and I turned to see Bon's dad standing in front of me.

"Of course not," I said kindly. "I could actually do with a break anyway," I said, pushing my math materials away from me. "And you can call me (Y/N)," I told him. "I don't mind. Normally I get 'Miss (L/N)' when I'm in trouble," I admitted with a small smile. Tatsuma smiled and took a set next to me at the table.

"Seems like you started taking a break before I came in," he said with a laugh, gesturing toward loose pieces of scratch paper which were covered in doodles.

"Yeah," I said leaning back in my chair. "Two and half weeks is a long time to be out of school even with Bon helping me." I sighed as I stared at the unfinished work. "Guess I'll have to wait until Bon gets back for him to help me," I mused allowed, but to no one in particular.

"He's doing well in school, I take it?" the man asked, and I nodded.

"He's the best. Top of the cram school class," I told him with just a little bit of pride for my boyfriend sewed into my voice. 

"And he treats you right?" he asked seriously, causing me to giggle slightly.

"That's an understatement if I ever heard one," I said, looking over at Tatsuma. He smiled widely at that.

"I ask for his mother, you know," he told me, a small twinkle in his eye. "She was so excited to to find out that her son finally found himself a girlfriend," he explained through a laugh. I smiled and blushed, not really sure what to say. "She would like you," he commented.

"Bon said that too," I told him. "What's she like?" I asked, folding my hands in front of me. He then proceeded to tell me about his wife, what she looked like and how kind she was. He explained that she could be stern when she needed to, that coming in handy in a house full of men. He explained how the temple wasn't bringing in enough but she ran an inn, something I remember Ryuji telling me. Just from the way he spoke about her, it was obvious that Tatsuma loved his wife very much. I wonder if that's how Bon looks when he talks about me, I wondered silently.

The next hour was filled with stories of a younger, more carefree Bon. I quickly learn that in his earlier life, he had been a strong and rambunctious toddle, but he quickly mellowed into a serious child. I learned that though Bon and his father sometimes had his differences, all my boyfriend did was strive for the approval of his mother. He had been a very caring child, loyal to his friends and family, always wanting to protect the ones he loved. I could see that he obviously stuck with that into his teen years.

As I listened to Tatsuma talk about his son, I could feel myself getting to know Bon better without actually having to speak with him. I also learned why Bon pushed himself to hard and strived so harshly for the approval of people around him. It made me slightly upset, learning why he pushed himself so hard, but I knew it was shaping him to the boy he was today, and the man he would come to be. I sighed, leaning my chin in my hand as I listened to more stories about my loving and caring boyfriend.