Chapter Fifty-One

Wow, umm please don't hate me. I've had a lot going on. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter even though it's late!

Rin kept his hand on my back protectively as we walked back from the training center to the dorms. My thoughts were racing as we walked, my heart beating hard in my chest, threatening to burst. The cut on my throat had long since stopped bleeding, but the icy-cold feeling that was circulating in my chest refused to leave. My ribs and chest were still throbbing from where Lightning had elbowed me violently, stealing the air from my lungs. I was still slightly hunched as we walked, trying to rid the pain from my chest.

It was beyond me why the man would have done something like that. I didn't know much about Lightning, but from what I heard from Shura and Mephisto, he was a cunning and ruthless exorcist, almost painfully good at his job. After today, I could see a little bit of that beginning to peak through the façade he had put in place.

But why? Why today? Has he been holding back this entire time? And I could tell he was holding back in the fight today, and I could barely keep up. There's something weird about that man, and I don't like it, not one bit.

I remembered when I had first met the man. I was a lot like my father and was a very first impression kind of person, and the first impression I got from Lightning? It had not a good one. Immediately after meeting the man, I had become tense and anxious. There was something wrong with that man. I just got a bad vibe from the man, one that made me want to hide, to get away from the man as fast as possible.

I sighed as we pushed the door to the dorm open, and Rin locked it behind us. I hadn't even thought about what the others were going to think. I had been too busy trying to figure out Lightning, and why he had attacked me seemingly out of the blue. Rin had been pissed, so I could only imagine how Bon was going to react. It wasn't going to be pretty, that was for sure.

"What are you tensing about?" Rin asked as he finished locking the door, coming back to my side as we proceeded to walk up the stairs. I threw him a look. "Well, besides the obvious of course. There's something else," he prodded, and I nodded.

"Bon's going to murder someone," I said simply. Rin's lips pursed, and he nodded grimly.

"He's not going to like this," he mused quietly, and I nodded. I knew my boyfriend very well, I knew he was going to be beyond pissed. Angry wasn't going to even begin to cover it. "Let's just pray that he doesn't go straight to the Vatican himself. We'll have to hold him back every time that scumbag comes around. We can't have a student attacking the second in command to the Paladin in the middle of the school," Rin joked, sending a small smile my way.

I sent him a small, forced smile back in return. I knew he was just trying to lighten the mood, but it was becoming so hard to find anything positive at this point. I had to remind myself daily that there was still so much in this life to be thankful for despite all of the chaos going on around us. I had a powerful and reliable support system surrounding me, ready to help me whenever I needed them. I knew they would be there for me in a moment if I asked for them. That helped put my mind at ease, if only slightly.

The minimal peace was shattered when I walked into the kitchen to find my boyfriend drinking a bottle of water as he scrolled through his phone. I immediately got anxious, not wanting to have to tell him what happened, but I knew I couldn't keep it from him. We had promised each other no more secrets, and I wasn't about to break that promise now. I didn't want the same outcome that we had last time. I wasn't sure if I would be able to handle another one of those fights. One had been enough.

"Hey, babe. Hey, Rin," Ryuji greeted as he turned off his phone and set his water bottle on the counter. His eyebrows furrowed when our eyes met, and he came forward immediately. Rin quickly told him what had happened as I waited anxiously to hear my boyfriend's reaction. The longer Rin spoke, the more cold his facial expression became. I could feel myself beginning to take in his anger which only served to make me more upset. Before I knew it, tears were cascading down my face in steady streams.