Chapter Twenty-Four

Enjoy this chapter. Tell me what you think by leaving me a comment or a vote!

The pain was dull, but still prominent for me to notice it even in my weakened state. The most noticeable pain was in my right side, but my head was pounding, and there was a slight sting in my left arm. I didn't know where in my left arm, I was still too weary to gain that much information, but it was there. As I slowly regained more and more of my consciousness, I noticed a weight on my right hand. It was warm but rough. It was comforting and familiar. There was also a constant murmuring. I could hear two different murmuring, one deeper than the other. They were both familiar. The murmur was accompanied by a steady beeping that was quickly getting on my nerves.

Wanting to find out what the beeping was and stop it, I opened my eyes against blinding lights. My eyelids felt as though they each weighed a ton as I pried them open. I frowned as I stared at the stark white ceiling above me. Looking around, I found my father sitting next to the bed I was in. He was looking across the room at my brother who was standing by he window, looking down at the scenery below.

Finding that my throat was dry and extremely sore, I settled for squeezing my father's hand to gain his attention. My muscles were extremely weak, and I was still half asleep, but it seemed to do the trick. My father snapped his head to the side, eyes widening as his (E/C) orbs met my own. He didn't seem to know what to say, so I sent him a weary smile. It probably looked more like a grimace.

"(Y/N)," he whispered as he reached up to stroke my face with one hand. This effectively got my brother's attention, and he was quick to come sit on the bed by my side, careful not to jar my side. "How are you feeling, kiddo?" my dad asked softly, pushing a stray strand of hair out of my face. I tried to speak, but my throat wouldn't allow me to. I raised a hand to tap my throat and tried my best to swallow visibly. "Tobias, go and get the nurse and tell her (Y/N)'s up, and she needs something to drink," my father instructed, and Tobias was quick to obey, sweeping out of the room in record time.

My father and I sat in silence for a few minutes, just looking at each other. I could tell he was trying not to cry, and I didn't want him to. I was fine, and I was here with him. Though, I couldn't exactly remember why I was in the hospital to begin with. What had happened? What happened to make my side hurt this much and land me in the hospital? I wondered silently, frustrated at not being able to ask what was going on. How long have I been here, and where is everyone else?

My musings were stopped when a tall, very slight nurse walked into the room, Tobias following behind her at a respectful distance. The nurse was holding a cup of water in her slim hands. "Well, hello there, (Y/N)," she said cheerfully. "It's nice to see you awake," she said with a smile. "Tobias told me you can't speak?" she asked, and I nodded. "Well, your throat is probably dry from not using it, so I'll help you drink a little of this water." She then proceeded to sit on the edge of my bed and carefully tip the water into my mouth which I drank greedily. "How's that?" she said after I drained the cup.

"Better," I whispered, my voice still a little rough.

"Good," she said. She seemed to sober, and she took on a serious expression. "Now, how much do you remember?" she asked as she stood up. I though hard for a second, concerned when I came up with nothing.

"I just remember waking up here," I explained quietly. "Is-is that bad?" I asked nervously. She shook her head.

"No, it's probably from the shock you suffered from. You'll remember more the more you get better," she explained, quelling that particular worry but making many more arise to fill its place. Seeing the question in my eyes, she started to explain what had happened. "You came to us two days ago with a large stab wound in your right side, down near your appendix," she told me, pointing on her own body. "Luckily, the appendix was spared, and we didn't have any complication concerning that. Apparently, at the dorm you are living in, someone heard screaming from upstairs and found you with the knife wound. No one else was there and no weapon was found. We were hoping to get the rest of the information from you," she said. I nodded at her words, the events slowly coming back to me. "Also, there were a few men wanting to speak to you but obviously you were unavailable because you were unconscious until just a few minutes ago. They say they're exorcists and you know them," she explained.