Chapter Fourteen

Hey! So, I'm not super proud of this chapter, but it's pushing it in the right direction and I really just need to get it finished. Anyway, tell me what you think and enjoy!

To say I was nervous for this mission was the biggest understatement of the century. I had never had anyone other than Mr. Okumura and Shura watch us on a mission. The people from the Myoda sect knew everyone in the class except for me. I could only imagine what they were going to think of me. I had heard all about the battle with the Impure King and how everyone had participated. It was going to be hard to impress them after that. Not to mention, I was the new wielder of the Sister Swords, what if I didn't meet their expectations?

So many thoughts were running through my mind that I didn't notice we had reached out destination until Mr. Okumura called us to attention. He recapped on what he had already told us and sent us on our way. I was partnered up with Bon as I normally was, his father and Yaozo following after us. I took a deep breath and let my black ring transform into my sword. I was slightly nervous because I hadn't used it since my last meeting with Katsuro and Kitiara and someone's I couldn't get them to work after those meetings. Thankfully, when it transformed, it felt normal in my hand. I breathed a sigh of relief and continued walking next to Suguro.

As we walked, a few coal tars appeared and their number only continued to increase. "Looks like we're heading in the right direction," I heard Bon mumble under his breath and I nodded silently. A few minutes later, a growl was heard and I raised my sword into a protective stance. We carefully turned the corner and came face to face with several ghouls. One immediately jumped at me, knocking me down. With a shout, I kicked it off, making it hit the ground with a thump. I scrambled to my feet and swung my sword, cutting through the ghoul easily.

I jumped as I felt Bon's back press against mine as I surveyed the situation at hand. We were surrounded by ghouls on all sides. I quickly noticed that Tatsuma and Yaozo were gone. I assumed they were watching from afar so they didn't get in the way. "You take the ones on the right and I'll take the left?" Bon asked, humor thick in his voice.

"Sounds good to me." Without a word, we split. We had been working together so much in the past few months that no words were needed. I quickly made work of about half of the demons on my side, but found myself tiring. I knew I needed to take care of this quickly and efficiently. I called on the now familiar power I had called on almost weekly. I swung my sword in a steady arc and watched at raw energy burst forth, killing the demons in an instant. I quietly whispered my thanks to Katsuro.

I heard just as Bon finished reciting the ghouls fatal verse and the remaining demons disintegrated. There was a moment of silence before I turned around and looked at Bon. He was panting heavily and a sheen of sweat covered his face. He gave me a small smile that I assumed was of relief. I sighed and let my sword transform back into a ring. I groaned slightly and put a hand to my head as a sudden headache set it. A wave of dizziness washed over me, and I grabbed Bon's arm. He placed a hand on my lower back, and pulled me to him, keeping me upright.

"(Y/N), what's wrong? Are you alright?" he asked frantically, gently grabbing my chin with one hand. I nodded slowly, not wanting to receive another wave of vertigo.

"Yeah, just dizzy," I breathed. "It happens sometimes after," I swallowed thickly, "after I use my sword like that," I finished breathlessly. He nodded, but didn't look convinced.

"Is she alright?" I heard a deeper voice call and turned my head to see Yaozo and Tatsuma approaching us. They both had grim expressions on their face as they stared at us. I waved my hand slightly, still trying to catch my breath.

"I think so," Bon said uncertainly. "Come on, we better go meet up with the others." I nodded, and let him lead me back to the meeting point, his arm still around my back. Yaozo and Tatsuma stayed behind us, whispering softly so that I could not make their words out. "Are you sure you're alright?" Bon asked and I looked up at him. I nodded, not saying a word.

In truth, I wasn't alright. My chest was tight, my stomach was churning, my head was pounding, and wave after wave of dizziness assaulted me. In short, I was a mess. You can't be sick in front of them. Not in front of Bon and most certainly not this father. I took an slow breath and let it out, trying to calm myself.

"Don't lie to me," Bon's voice rumbled from above me. I tensed and nodded. "Tell me the truth," he said, a little softer as we continued to walk.

"Fine," I huffed. "I feel like crap," I admitted, leaning into him a little more. "I just don't feel good." I paused, taking a deep breath. "It's never been like this before," I whispered. The arm around me tightened.

"Well," Bon began. "When we get back, we can tell Mr. Okumura and he can take a look at you. Can you make it that long?" I nodded and thanked him quietly. We slowly made our way back to the meeting point. Shura, Mr. Okumura, Shima, And Shiemi were there waiting on the rest of us. They all stood with wide eyes eyes as we approached them. Mr. Okumura did a weird jog walk thing over to us, a deep frown on his face.

"Why is it when something goes wrong it's always you two?" he muttered under his breath. He shook his head and said, "Sit her down." Bon helped me sit and then proceeded to stand by my side. I told Mr. Okumura that I was only tired and a little sick, which was the truth, but he insisted on checking. I sat calmly as Mr. Okumura took my vitals and checked my pupils. I sat quietly, glancing over at Tatsuma and Yaozo every so often. I could only imagine what they were talking about. I screwed up, right in front of them. This couldn't have gone worse. I bit my lip, trying not to think about it.

When he was done, Mr. Okumura leaned back on his heels. "There's really nothing I can do for you, (Y/N). We don't know a whole lot about these swords, but I can tell they sap your energy when you use them. You'll just have to continue to be careful," he told me, looking me right in the eyes. I nodded, looking away. Tears prickled at the corner of my eyes, blurring my vision.

He's disappointed, I can tell. I can imagine that Tatsuma and Yaozo are too. I didn't meet their expectations. I failed.

{Line Break}

Later that night, Rin invited everyone to dinner again, but I declined, telling him that I still wasn't feeling very well. He took the excuse easily enough, but I knew Bon wasn't going to; he knew me too well for that. He had texted me a few times since this morning, but I refused to check my phone. I figured he was disappointed in me as well. Instead, I laid on my bed and got as much homework done as I could.

I was so absorbed in a math problem that I jumped when there was a sudden knock on my door. I frowned not sure of who it could be. I slammed my math textbook shut and stood up with a sigh. Opening the door, I was surprised to see Bon standing in front of me. He didn't look happy at all.

"Bon, what's wrong?" I asked with a frown not until my boyfriend's.

"I could ask you the same thing," he said roughly. I had never seen him like his before. "I know your thought process, (Y/N). I know you think you disappointed them or didn't meet their expectations, but you did." I stared at him, shocked. How did he know all that just by looking at me?

He stepped forward and pulled me into a bone crushing hug, causing me to loose a squeak of shock. I was shocked for a minute before I returned the hug. After a few minutes I tapped him on the back, trying to gain his attention. "C-cant breath," I gasped out and he let me go immediately.

"Sorry," he muttered, clearly embarrassed as he scratched the back of his neck. "But listen to me when I say this; they weren't disappointed," he said, looking me right in the eyes. "They were worried, and others are worried too," he informed me. I nodded silently. He suddenly chuckled making me look up at him. "Honestly," he said, running and hand through his hair. "You actually impressed them. They've never seen those swords in a action and you passed any expectations they set."

"Oh," I said, a little embarrassed now. "I though they were mad." He chucked and shook his head.

"Hey," he said as he grabbed my hand. "Why don't we go do something, just the two of us, try to get our minds off this." I smiled up at him as he blushed.

"Okay," I replied. "Sound great."

⚠️NOTE! PLEASE READ!⚠️
I warned you guys. That was pretty bad. Anyway, writer's block is still trying to kill me so go ahead and give me some ideas for the next chapters! I have a rough idea in mind, but I want to put on some fluffy fill chapters. You can either comment or you can just message me. Either way, I appreciate the help. Thank you all!