Chapter Twenty-Eight

I told you guys I was ahead. R.I.P. my posing schedule that lasted like two weeks.

I woke, startled, at the sound of my door being knocked on. Well, I'm not sure if knocking was the word to use. It was more like an insistent banging. I huffed and forced myself into a half sitting position, using one arm to keep my upright. Looking over to the green, glowing numbers of my alarm clock, I realized it was only 12:30 at night. I had only been asleep for about two hours and already someone was already trying to wake me up.

Getting up, I flicked on the lamp on my bedside table and put my glasses on with practiced ease. I then shuffled over to the door, wincing and wrapping an arm around my side when the stitches pulled slightly. I pulled the door open, not really caring who was going to see me in my state is disarray. Whoever it was probably had a good reason for waking me up so late.

In front of me, was Ryuji, looking extremely disheveled. His hair was a mess, and his chest was heaving for breath. His eyes were bloodshot, and I could have sworn there were tear tracks on his cheeks. "Bon, what's going on?" I asked while rubbing my eyes. "Are you alright?" I asked. He immediately took me by the shoulders and stared patting all over my shoulders and arms. His hands traveled up my arms and shoulders to stop and rest on my face. I figured now he was tying to make sure I was really here. A nightmare, probably.

Before I could speak, his arms were were looped gently around my waist, and his face was pressed into the crook of my neck. I lightly wrapped my arms around his muscular back. I rubbed what I hoped to be were soothing circles into his tense back. "Did you have a nightmare?" I asked, and I received a stiff nod in response. I sighed, leaning my head on his. "I'm okay," I reminded him. "I'm right here with you." He nodded and pulled me closer to himself, careful of my still healing injury. "Do you want to talk about it?" I asked, my words slightly muffled by his shoulder.

"There's not much to talk about," he grunted, and I knew immediately he didn't want to show any weakness toward me even though he already had.

"Come here," I said, pulling away slightly. His arms tightened around me as if he thought I might leave him completely. I took his hand on my own and led him into my room, like he had done to me only a month or so before. I was hoping by giving us a little more privacy, he would open up a little and tell me what was going on. What kind of dream could have stirred him up that badly?

He allowed me to push him onto the bed in a sitting position before I pushed him onto his back. I then settled in beside him, laying on my back, but pressing our sides together. Taking his hand, I intertwined our fingers together and brought our hands to my face, kissing the back of his large hand. I then laid both of our hands on my stomach. They rose and fell in time with my breathing. We laid silently for a few moments, just listening to the sound of my fan and the sound machine I had playing. The soft noises had almost lulled me back to sleep when Bon spoke.

"You died," he said. "In my dream, I mean," he explained, and I turned my head to look at him, the lamp light casting dark shadows over a portion of his face. "We didn't get you to the hospital fast enough," he whispered, horrified. I took his hand and spread his fingers out, pressing it to my chest where he could feel my heart beating.

"I'm here, Ryuji, and I'm not going anywhere," I reminded him. "Okay?" he nodded and rolled over to press his face into my neck. He gently laid an arm over my stomach in a protective manner, running his hand up and down my uninjured side. "Get some sleep," I whispered, bringing my hand up to thread it through his soft hair. He nodded once more and settled further into the bed.

Soon, this breathing evened out, and he was asleep. I smiled and turned my head to press a kiss to the crown of his head. I quickly followed him into the land of dreams.