Chapter Thirty-Six

I've put like two or three references to my favorite movies in this book, and they have yet to be discovered. Free cookies to anyone who spots them! Enough of my rambling, enjoy!

Cars honked as they sped by on the busy streets. Snow still lay in piles here and there from the recent storm, the sound of water meeting the pavement filling the air. I stood at a busy intersection, waiting for my turn to walk. Finally, the arrow changed, and I walked briskly across the street with the other people that were going in the same direction as I. Like me, they were still all bundled up in coats, hats, and gloves to fend off the bitterly cold air.

I continued my four block walk in silence, dreading the coming conversation. No matter how good I was at lying, I knew Shura could see through hem the second they left my lips. Finally, he small cafe that Shura wanted me to meet her at came into sight. I entered the small building and pulled off my hat and gloves. Immediately, a hostess that looked around my age approached me.

"Is your name (Y/N) by any chance?" she asked politely.

"Yes, I'm meeting someone here," I told her.

"Is her name Shura?" I nodded. "Alright, follow me," she said before leading me back to a secluded part of the restaurant. Shura was already seated at a small table, a cup of water in hand as she skimmed over a menu. She looked up when I sat, and the hostess disappeared.

"We have a lot to discuss," she said, setting her glass down and folding her hands in front of her on the table. "You've been keeping secrets," she began.

"Secrets? What secrets?" I asked, trying to play dumb. "I haven't been keeping secrets."

"Don't lie to me," she snapped, causing me to jump in surprise. I twisted my fingers under the table in nervousness. She was the only one that could see through my lies, and I hated that. I was used to fooling everyone. "We need to talk about those swords of yours," she said, and it felt as if my heart skipped a beat. "You know something important that you aren't telling me," she pressed. I couldn't maintain eye contact with her, and I looked down, trying to avoid her prying gaze. "So you do," she concluded, leaning back in her chair a little. "You mind making this easier on us and just tell me?" I remained silent, an intern tap battle being waged in my mind.

I can't just go on training without telling my teacher! She could help me just like she helped Rin, I reasoned. But the letter told me not to say a thing about the swords in fear of more information getting out! How do I know I can trust her with this? I sighed in frustration, running a hand through my hair. I looked up at my teacher. She was sitting quietly, her green eyes narrowed but not angry as she looked at me.

"(Y/N)," she began. "I know you would only withhold information from me if it was really important." I nodded at her words, confirming her suspicions. "I know how dangerous all this businesses is, and I know it scares you, if even just a little." I nodded again. "But like I said; this is dangerous. You can't carry this all on your own. You need someone else who understands. You need someone else who understands demon swords," she explained, her voice even and soft, almost gentle.

"I'm not supposed to tell," I muttered quietly. "I was told not tell tell anyone outside my family because it's dangerous and could get me or other people hurt," I explained.

"(Y/N), I need to know what you know about the Sister Swords," Shura pressed gently. "I want to help you, but I can't do that unless you tell me what's going on." There was a beat of silence before she spoke again. "(Y/N), I'm not going to let any of this get to higher ups, not matter what information you tell me, it's between you and me alone. I promise I'm going to help you with whatever this is." She reached across the table and put a hand over mine as she spoke.