Chapter Twenty

I think might be a shorter chapter (I don't actually know, I write these chapters in my notes before I publish them) and it's more fluff cause I need it in my life. Don't worry, the next chapter will be more action with Katsuro and Kitiara. Don't forget to comment and vote, I appreciate it. Enough from me, onward into the sea of fluff!

The air was nearly silent, the only sounds being of my soft sobs and the fan I had running in my room 24/7. The pillow clenched to my chest was drenched in tears that I had since run out of. I had lost track of time since we had gotten back from the mission. I hadn't spoken to Bon and he had in turn not said a word to me. Even if he had approached me I wouldn't have known what to say. This is all my fault and I didn't know how to even begin making amends. I wanted so badly to apologize to him right then and there, but I figured he needed time to cool off.

I jumped when there was knock on my door. I laid in bed staring at the door in silence, wondering who possibly wanted to see me after what I had done and said. "(Y/N)? It's Rin," a voice announced through the door. "Can I come in?" he asked politely. I sat up on my bed and tried to clear the tears from my face.

"Yeah, the door's open," I called, my voice cracking halfway through my sentence. I reached toward my nightstand and pulled a tissue out of the cardboard box sitting there. I wiped my eyes and nose as Rin entered the room and closed the door behind him.

"Geez, (Y/N), turn some lights on in here. What are you, a vampire?" he asked humorously as flipped the lights on. I hissed and fell back into my bed.

"Yes, I am, Rin. And you've just murdered me," I said, closing my eyes. I felt my bed sink next to me, and I heard a sigh next to my head. I opened one eye to see Rin laying next to me on his back, staring up at the ceiling.

"How you holding up?" he asked as he looked over at me. I sighed and didn't meet his eyes. I fumbled with my hands for a few minutes, and Rin waited patiently for me to put my words together.

"I feel like a heartless jerk who only cares about her pride and doesn't take the feelings of others into account," I muttered after a few minutes. My voice began to shake at the end of my sentence.

"Oh, come here," Rin breathed and pulled me to him as I started to cry again, this time into his chest. Over the months I spent at True Cross, Rin had turned into someone that was like another older brother. He gave me wordless encouragement in small smiles we shared in the hallway, and he was always there if I needed to vent.

"(Y/N)?" he asked softly after a few minutes of just allowing me to cry. I hummed in response, reluctantly pulling my face out of his chest. "Suguro loves you, ya know that?" His words caught me off guard. My brows furrowed as I looked up at him. "I can tell from the way that he looks at you that he loves you," he explained. "When you're not looking, he stares at you like an angel come to earth. Those times he stuttered in class, he wasn't paying attention cause he was too busy staring at you. I even remember before you two started dating, him looking at you. Even on the way home from our mission today, when Bon has convinced himself he was angry, he glanced at you a few times." I blushed at Rin's words. I had never noticed. "Has he told you he loved you?" he asked. I nodded into his chest. "There's your proof," he said.

"But after what I did and said to him..." I said trailing off. "How could he possibly love me now?" I asked timidly, afraid of what answer I might receive.

Rin scoffed. "Love doesn't disappear just like that," he said and snapped his fingers for emphasis. "And if he really loves ya, he's gonna forgive you," Rin said. "And if he doesn't, I'm gonna punch his lights out, and I'm sure I'm gonna have help from you're brother." I laughed heartily at that. It was silent for a few minutes before I frowned.