Chatper Five

I have no words of wisdom...or any words at all so I'll just let you read and let me know what you think!

The sun was bright in the clear blue sky, not a cloud in sight. The summer sun would have been stifling if there had not been a nice breeze going. It brushed through the trees and the newly blooming flowers. The only sound was the breeze ruffling leaves, and birds singing in the treetops. The campus was empty, making it look completely abandoned.

I sighed, resting my chin in my palm. I wish I could be at cram school with the others. Because of the previous day's events, Mr. Okumura had excused me from classes today so I could rest my leg. I was now on crutches and felt completely useless. Fortunately, my brother had called and asked if he could visit. I had gladly excepted; I had been homesick since the day I started cram school. Unfortunately, that meant I had to explain my accident to him. To say he freaked out was an understatement. I had barely pulled the phone away from my ear when he started screaming at me to be more careful.

I knew he was only worried for me and didn't want to lose anyone else dear to him. Our mother had died in an accident when I was five and he was ten. I don't really remember her too much as I was small when she died. That left just my father, my brother, and me. Dad and Tobias made sure to tell me plenty of stories about her.

She was a kind, gentle woman, but could wreak havoc if she wanted to. Dad said I reminded him of her a lot. He said we were practically the same person, that I could have been her clone in both mind and body. Tobias and I both had her (H/C) hair and (E/C) eyes that shined like gems; dad always made sure we knew that. Dad had the brightest red hair I had ever seen and equally bright blue eyes. The only thing we got from him in terms of looks was his excessive amount of freckles.

Mom had been an exorcist, just like the rest of her side of the family. The swords that rested on my middle fingers had rejected her so she had taken up the miester of doctor and dragoon. She had met my father on a mission and had been best friends since then and decided to get married and have us. She had died due to an injury she received on a mission that refused to heal. Dad and Tobias had been furious when the swords excepted me. I took them awhile to get over the fact that I was destined to be an exorcist, a knight to be exact. They were scared for my safety, and I couldn't blame them.

I sighed and checked my phone for the time. I don't think that man will ever know the definition of 'on time.' Soon enough, a huge black pickup pulled in front of the dorm. I smiled and stood up with the help of my crutches as the driver's door opened and out stepped my brother. He quickly walked over to be and wrapped me up in his strong arms. Tobias was a foot taller then me, taking after our father, and my head rested perfectly on his chest. He always said I was perfect hugging height, and that I wasn't allowed to grow, not that I thought I would.

Tobias gently pushed me back by my shoulders and smiled down at me. His smiles were contagious, and I smiled with him before laughing and falling back into his chest. "I missed you," I mumbled into his chest.

"Missed you, too, kiddo," he said, ruffling my hair. "Now, do you want to give me all the details that you didn't mention on the phone?" he asked; I could hear the smirk in his voice. I groaned and thumped a fist in his chest lightly. "Come on, you can tell me over food then."

"Yay food!" I shouted and let go of my brother to grab my crutches. Tobias laughed and shook his head. "Hey, it's the little things in life," I said with a smile.

"Indeed it is, sister."

{Line Break}

"So let me get this straight," my older brother said, pointing his fork at me. An eyebrow was raised, and he had a dubious look on his face. "You woke up late, went on a surprise mission, got attacked by a demon, and then some guy you barely know carried you back?" I groaned internally. Of course he would worry about that part. Nope not the 'I was attacked by a demon part,' but a guy carried me. I mean I guess the danger comes with the job, but still!

"Yes, you heard me correctly, now can we please drop it. I already told you everything," I whined, looking pleadingly up at my older brother. He had a cold look in his eyes that mirrored my father's when we was angry. I knew I wasn't getting out of this so easily. "Oh my gosh, Tobias," I groaned, covering my face with one hand. "He was just helping me," I stressed. "I couldn't walk! How else was I supposed to get back? Crawl the whole way?" I asked, exasperated. He looked down and grumbled under his breath, knowing that he had lost.

He looked back up at me and said, "I just don't want to see you get hurt." I blushed and groaned when I realized he wasn't talking physically.

"I don't like him!" I exclaimed. "Not even as a friend. He's got a bad attitude and doesn't like me either. Another guy in my class told me Suguro only sees me as competition, and that's why he doesn't like me." Tobias opened his mouth to say something, but I cut him off. "And no, he hasn't been mean to me, he just hasn't necessarily been to me." My brother nodded.

"Well, I'm just glad you're alright. And I won't tell dad." I looked at him incredulously. "Look, you weren't sent to the hospital, and I don't want him worrying too much. I already went through all the questioning he normally goes through, so I'll spare you from dealing with it again." I smiled at my brother and thanked him. "You ready to head back?" he asked, looking at his watch.

"I guess," I sighed and moved to stand up. Tobias moved to help with with my crutches when my phone buzzed. It was a text from Rin.

Rin Okumura
12:31
Hey, Yukio has antibiotics he wants you to take for your leg. When do you want me to come over with them?

"Who's that?" Tobias asked as I quickly texted Rin back, telling him to meet me when I got back to the dorm.

"My friend Rin. He has the antibiotics for my leg," I said, putting my phone away and following Tobias out of the restaurant.

"Why does he have them?" My goodness. He just has to know everything doesn't he.

"His brother is a doctor," I told him, choosing my words carefully so I didn't have to explain the two brothers in depth. Tobias hummed in response and helped me into the car.

When we got back to the dorm, I saw Rin sitting in the front porch, Kuro on his shoulder. "I'm assuming that's Rin?" Tobias asked and glanced over at me. I hummed and nodded. Tobias helped me out of the car against my protests and we made our way over to Rin; he stood when he saw us.

"Hey, (Y/N)!" he cheered with a huge smile. He waved and Kuro meowed from his shoulder. Rin always told me that was his hello; Rin said there was demon to demon telepathy. "How goes it?" he asked and walked down the steps to greet us. "Hey, who's this?" he asked looking up at my brother.

"Rin, this is my older brother Tobias. Tobias, this is my friend Rin; he's in my cram school class." I saw Tobias looking skeptically at the cat sidhe sitting on my friend's shoulder. He had been able to see demons since he was 10, and I could tell he was a little uneasy. "Oh, and that's Kuro, Rin's familiar." Tobias nodded.

"Nice to meet ya," Rin said enthusiastically and stuck his hand out for Tobias to shake. He did. "Like your sister said, I'm Rin and in her cram school class. That's all there is to know about me; I'm not too exciting," he said, scratching the back of his head. "Oh, anyway, I have your stuff," he said a grabbed a pill bottle from his jacket pocket. He handed it to me and continued. "Yukio said take one in the morning and one in the evening, and you can take it with or without food." I nodded and thanked him for bringing it over. "Well, if that's all. I gotta get going. I still have  training with Shura yet today." We said our goodbyes, and Rin went on his way.

"He seems nice enough," Tobias mused as we watched Rin run off, Kuro bouncing along on his shoulder.

"Yeah, he is. Maybe not the best student, but a really good friend."

"Yeah, by the way, how are your classes going?" I groaned loudly at his question and stomped my good foot. He looked at me, confused. Why did I do that? Now I have to explain to him that I'm being tutored. And by Suguro no less! He already doesn't like him.

"Uh, most of them are pretty good," I said slowly. He raised an eyebrow, silently telling me continue. I closed my eyes and said through a sigh, "I'm being tutored for one of my classes." After a moment of silence, I opened one eye and looked at my brother.

"That one I'm gonna have to tell dad about." I smacked my forehead with my hand and groaned. Man, I've had a rough few days.