Chapter Sixty-One

Wow, it's literally been a month! I'm so sorry about that guys, I had vacation and then A LOT of work, but I'm back!!! I didn't get everything I wanted to into this chapter cause it got kinda long, but that just means more chapters!!!! Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter!!!!

(Y/N)'s POV

"Alright, (Y/N), here's this whiteboard and marker, just in case you have any questions or there's something you can't quite say yet," the speech language pathologist said as she handed me the two objects. I sighed and took the proffered object, silently deciding that I wasn't even going to use it. I was determined to use my voice. I had struggled to say every single thing so far during my hospital stay; it had only been two days since I woke up. I had been extremely tired the past few days, falling in and out of sleep at unconventional times throughout both the day and night, but the doctor assured me that it was normal in a confused state. I didn't ask. I had fallen asleep shortly after the explanation.

"We're going to start with working vowels and other simple sounds," she said as she dug through a few things in the box she had brought with her. I rolled my eyes at the doctor's patronizing tone, but knew I needed to work through this if I wanted to speak normally again. "Now, from reading your chart, I've heard you've spoken a few sentences since you woke up two days ago, but there's been some struggle?" she asked, a thin eyebrow raised. I nodded in confirmation.

"Rrrrryuji," I managed, frowning when it didn't come out quite right. I had said it right just two days ago and now I was struggling again. A soft smile crept onto the lady's face.

"That's your boyfriend, right?" she asked as she placed a book on my lap gently. I nodded when I couldn't find it in me to get the word 'yes' out. "He seems like a very nice boy," she commented. I smiled and nodded, unable to control the sudden swell of love I felt for the boy. This was one of the few times he wasn't here; he still had classes to attend and things to get done. In fact, there was no one with me at the moment. My father and Mio still had work and Tobias still had college classes to attend. I wished more than anything that someone was here with me now, but I knew they had other things to take care of. I just had to wait one more hour until Ryuji could come visit me after class; he would get here right before the end of my speech therapy session. Thinking about the boy brought another smile to my face.

My apparent happiness caused the lady to smile at me again before she pointed to the book on my lap. I frowned when I read the title. It was a children's alphabet book. I pushed the book away and grunted, looking up at the doctor in dismay.

"(Y/N), I know this may seem childish, but working through the basic sounds of the alphabet will help with speech. It will work your vocal cords and strengthen them," she explained. I let out a deep sigh and crossed my arms. I wasn't happy about it, but I wanted to speak. So, I opened the book to the first page, finding a huge 'A' with a list of 'a' words with several pictures. "Great," she said. "We're going to work through the vowels first. Have you sung before? In a choir where they did vocal exercises?" I shrugged my shoulders, liking to sing on my own but never really having the confidence or the time to sign in a choir.

"S-ssssing," I said with a nod. "Nnnnnnoooo c-c-c-choir," I explained. The doctor smiled.

"That's great, (Y/N)!" she said. "That's a great start, so let's work on the basic sounds so everything comes a little more easily," she said, her tone happy and encouraging. "Once we get through the basic sounds of the vowels, we'll add some pitch changes like they do in vocal exercises. How does that sound?" I nodded with a smile, pointing down at the book in my lap. I pointed at the 'A' on the page and attempted to say the sound I knew it made.

For the next hour, we worked through the vowels, getting most of them down and working through some of the vocal exercises. My throat was starting to get sore, and the up and down nature of the singing exercises weren't helping. My throat was tired as well as my mind from forcing myself to speak after not doing so for so long. This was definitely harder than I had previously thought. Now I understood why she had started me off with a children's alphabet book; this stuff was hard work.