Chapter Forty

So I didn't bother trying to edit this as my friends watched the kid screaming about Sonic so just let me know about typos😂
Enjoy!

"Ah, good afternoon, Miss (L/N)," Mephisto greeted as I entered his office. I entered cautiously, quietly closing the door behind me. One morning, I had woken, getting ready for the day ahead when I spied a letter laying on my desk. Taking a closer look at it, I recognized Mephisto's hand writing. The thought of it made me shudder, but I opened it anyway. If it was from Mephisto, is had to be important. The letter hadn't given much information other than there was an emergency, and he needed to see me in his office.

My eyes widened when I saw two other occupants in the room. It was none other than Lightning and Angel. Both men had cups of what I presumed was tea. Angel looked as poised as ever while Lightning looked slightly out of place with his dainty little teacup.

"Please, have a seat, (Y/N)," Mephisto said, folding his hands on the table in front of him. I hesitantly took the only empty seat which was to the right of Angel. "Tea?" he asked kindly, an eyebrow raised in question.

"No, that's alright. Thank you though," I said, trying to mind my manners, covering the anger I felt rolling in my stomach. I hadn't even had so much of a warning. Whatever it was going on was probably an emergency, but you never knew with Mephisto.

I looked over at the green eyed man. He now had his own teacup in his hands, and he stared at me with narrowed eyes. His eyes seemed to speak to me, telling me to be calm. Despite how much I disliked he man, he knew what he was doing. I wondered if Shura and Yukio had gotten a chance to speak with Mephisto about my concerns, but I could ask now. There was too much at stake.

"Before we begin, I noticed your attendance at cram school was down," Mephisto said, carefully setting down his teacup in exchange or rooting through a few papers.

"I was sick the past few days I admitted. Just a cold, but I had a fever," I explained. He nodded, picking up his cup again. I bit my lip, trying to play my cards right. "Didn't Mr. Okumura and Miss Shura tell you?" I asked, hoping he would get that hint that I wasn't just talking about being sick. I wasn't to know if he knew about me concerns. A look of recognition crossed this face, and he frowned.

"No, they did not," he said with a frown. "That's very unlike them," he commented, looking extremely displeased. "I'll make sure to talk to them about being more diligent in the future," he promised. "Now," I said, folding his hands together. "The real reason I called you down was that there was a sighing of Ishida around the campus," he informed me slowly.

There was a sudden pang of fear jolting through my stomach. I wanted to disappear at just the mention of that name. And he was near the campus to boot. All I could think about that was the possibility of him discovering more about me or the swords, using that information to hurt me without even touching me. Goosebumps rose on my arms, and hair stood up on the back of my neck.

"(Y/N)," Mephisto's calm voice said lowly. "You're safe," he reminded me. I nodded, knowing he was speaking the truth. I took a few deep breaths until I had regained my composure. "Are you okay,       (Y/N)? Can I continue?" I nodded. "Okay," he said, pausing in case I wanted to change my mind. "We've strengthened the barriers and upped security to keep you and other students safe, but he's broken through all of the above. Because you are such a valuable exwire, Angel wants to keep Lightning around the campus in case of an emergency," he informed me.

"What about the Myoda Sect?" I asked. "They're supposed to be to here to protect me I thought," I said, confused.

"Yes, they are," Mephisto confirmed, "but Lightning is a very powerful exorcist, second only to the paladin himself. And Angel insists. We have no idea what this man is capable of, and we know for a fact he's after you," Mephisto reasoned. "Also, the Myoda sect can't stay here forever for one girl," Mephisto pointed out. "And I'm not saying your not important, but it's smarter to have one, more inconspicuous guard than a whole group of them." I understood where he was coming from, but it didn't make me any happier.