Chapter Eight

I uh still don't have anything to say to you wonderful people so enjoy and don't forget to vote and comment!

Rain poured down from the sky in heavy sheets, ricocheting off the roof of the hospital like a hundred bullets. Thunder rumbled gently in the distance, but I could tell it was getting closer with each passing minute. Most people would have found this weather to be disgusting and depressing, but the sound of rain soothed my nerves. It had started to rain just after we arrived at the hospital. Before they sent me off to get looked over once more, Mr. Okumura informed me that he was going to contact my father. I had groaned internally at this new information. They quickly numbed, cleaned, and stitched me up before placing me in a hospital room. They said they wanted to keep me for two days for observation to make sure the worst of my wounds, one on my shoulder and one on my waist, wouldn't get infected. They seemed pretty worried about those two. The wounds were deep enough to need tetanus shots to try and avoid an infection of the blood.

I was still extremely exhausted, and all I could do was I lay back in my pillows and stare out the windows. Rin had offered to stay with me which I gratefully accepted. We mostly just say in a comfortable silence. "I apologize for not being able to hold too much of a conversation," I said through a yawn.

"It's really okay," he told me, shifting in his chair a little. "I heard from Bon what you did with you're sword, so I'm not surprised; that takes a lot out of you." I nodded, feeling my hands begin to shake slightly at the thought of the older boy. I hurt him because I wasn't careful. It's all my fault.

"Is he alright?" I asked, afraid of the response I would get.

"He's fine, just a cut. They cleaned him up, put a bandage on, and sent him on his way. He and the others are worried about you, you know," he told me, but this still didn't make me feel any better. Rin frowned deeply and moved to sit on the edge of my bed carefully. He took my hands, and his eyes widened when he found them shaking. "Hey, what's wrong? Are you hurting? Do I need to call the doctor?" I shook my head and squeezed his hands tightly.

"I-I didn't mean to hurt him," I mumbled. "I-if I would j-just have been more careful..." I trailed off, unable to continue.

"Hey, why are you getting so worked up over this? I can promise you he's not mad. He's not that kind of guy," he soothed and squeezed my hands back gently. "You were just trying to protect him and yourself. It would have been a lot worse if you hadn't done anything, you know that, right?" he asked, trying to catch my eye. I nodded stiffly.

"I was just so worried when I saw him unconscious. I didn't want to hurt him, I was just scared and I didn't know what else to do," I told him, looking up at him and meeting his electric blue eyes which were filled with sympathy.

"He knows that. You should have seen his face when we were waiting for news of you. He looked so guilty, he kept mumbling that he wasn't able to do anything." I nodded with a small smile, feeling a little better. We sat silently for a few minutes until there was a knock on the door. Rin removed his hands and stood up while I called for the visitors to come in. I looked up to see my father and brother enter the room. They were both paler than normal and had worry written across their faces. "I think that's my cue to head out," Rin said. "I'll see you tomorrow, (Y/N)," he called as he slipped past my family and out the door, but not before bowing his head slightly in respect.

As soon as he was gone, my father rushed over and wrapped his arms around me and peppered my face with kisses. My wounds were hurting slightly, but I didn't want to tell him to stop. He finally pulled back and looked into my eyes, searching them. "Are you alright? How are you feeling?" I smiled at my father.

"A little sore and really tired," I admitted. "I'm okay, really." He and Tobias didn't look too convinced.

My dad placed a hand in my face and murmured, "You just look so pale." He leaned back slightly with a smile and sat in the chair next to my bed. Tobias came and sat on the edge of my bed as Rin had previously done. "Your teacher explained what happened," dad said quietly. "You were very brave." I shook my head at his comment.