Chapter Forty-Seven

My sister and her boyfriend we're watching Grey's Anatomy while I was writing the beginning of this chapter. I think most of us know what that means. I apologize and good luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Cole's POV~~~~~~~~~~~~

My hands shook as I ran the dish towel over a bowl, drying it hastily before dropping it on the counter. The bowl bounced with a clang, causing me to jump ever though I knew it was coming. I threw the towel down, gripping the edge of the counter so tight that my knuckles turned white.

Soft, warm hands came to my shoulders, rubbing up and down soothingly. I hunched my shoulders, trying to hide from the woman I knew was standing behind me.

Today had been too much. Today, my own daughter telling me she was going to sacrifice herself if necessary. She was so much like her mother it was scary. She was like a carbon copy of her mother, her sweet sweet mother, the love of my life that I could never see again. I felt so unbelievably guilty. Here I was with Mio, another woman that I loved so dearly, but I felt as if I was being disloyal to my late wife.

"Cole?" Mio asked quietly. I squeezed my eyes shut tighter. "Cole, talk to me," Mio whispered into my ear.

"You're going to hate me," I managed to get out. I took a hand off the counter and wiped my eyes of the sticky tears that were accumulating at the corners of my eyes.

"Cole, you don't know that," she said. I didn't speak. I heard her sigh before hands were on my shoulders tighter than before. She turned me around and pushed me against the counter, her soft but firm hands still on my shoulders, holding me in place. "Cole, I know today was a long day," she began slowly. "I know what you've been forced to take on, but I still can't even try to understand all the stress you're under right now." She sighed and looked down, her bangs covering her eyes. I looked down at her, waiting for her to continue. She took a deep breath and looked back up at me. "Cole, work with me please. Tell me what's-"

"I miss my wife, Mio!" I all but shouted at the woman in front of me. "And now It's likely I'll loose my daughter by the end of this hellish nightmare!" My breath caught in my throat as I realized what I had just said. I closed my eyes and looked away from the woman in front of me, the beautiful woman I had grown to love over the past months. I put a hand over my mouth, cursing myself vehemently, wishing I could take it back, knowing I never could.

However, her hands stayed on my shoulders. They rubbed up and down in a soothing manner, but it didn't stop the sobs from wracking my body, tears pouring down my face in torrents. I was pulled forward into her lithe but strong arms. They wrapped around me tightly but gently.

"Cole, I don't-I can't understand what you're going through." She took another deep breath, a hand running over my back. A sob racked my body, and my knees shook, threatening to give out on me, and finally, they did. I sunk to the floor, the woman I loved following me. I hadn't cried this hard since my wife. "Cole, I don't know what to say." I could tell she was crying now too. "I know you miss her," she muttered. "And I know you just want to keep ( Y/N) safe, I know that." She let out a shaky breath. "Cole, I know we-we talked about marriage," she said. "I don't want you to feel pressured into marrying me. If you need more time, that's fine. I'll give you all-"

I cut her off by grabbing her face in my hands and pressed my lips against her's forcefully. She let out a noise of surprise, but didn't fight it. Her hands found my face, pulling me closer until there was no space left between us. My hands slipped into her hair, cradling her head in my large hands.