Chapter Twenty-Six

Hello again people of Wattpad! So I am like banging out chapters now that swimming is over and I already have two other chapters finished. I might post one in the middle of the week before next Sunday, but we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter! Leave a comment or vote❤️

In the weeks following the incident, I was stuck cooped up in the hospital recovering. It was a painfully slow and long process, but the doctor and nurses said I was doing wonderful. They said if there wasn't any further complications, I would be out of here within the week. Though I would be released from this white washed prison, I would still have to be careful about the stitches that had to stay in for a few more weeks, a month at most.

Being careful meant I couldn't put any strain on the affected area which made my job difficult. I couldn't bend, lift, twist, or even reach! I would be pretty dependent on someone else until the stitches came out. They said if I ripped any of the sutures, I would most likely had to spend an additional week with them in. The more I ripped, the longer I would be stuck with them.

I also had to be careful about getting them wet, which meant covering them during showers or resorting to just using a wet wash cloth. Granted, I wouldn't be doing any strenuous activities, but I still liked my hot showers as much as the next guy.

There was also the task of cleaning and redressing the wound which I couldn't do myself because it required twisting and would probably pull a stitch. I hadn't brought that up to anyone because it would be awkward no matter who did it as the bandages covered all the way up to just below my chest. It was going to be a long few weeks to say the least.

"Ow ow ow," I hissed and squeezed my eyes shut as the soiled bandages the nurse was taking off caught one of the stitches. I clasped my hands on top of my head and tried to ignore the pain, but the act was fruitless. It was still ever present and very noticeable.

"I know, sweetheart," my evening nurse said. "I'm sorry," she murmured as she continued removing the white bandage now tinted pink with my blood. I was no stranger to blood, but it still made me sick knowing that was my blood.

"I know you're trying to help, and I appreciate it, I just wish it didn't hurt this much," I whined and hissed again when she gently pulled a piece of cloth out of the wound.

"I know. I don't like seeing anyone in pain," the nurse lamented. "But," she said through a breath. "I like helping people like you get back on their feet," she said.

"People like me?" I asked, pulling at my hair slightly.

"People like you," she repeated. "People who have a fire burning in them. A fire burning to get them back on their feet and continue on their journey. People like you have something important you haven't finished yet, and it's crucial that you do. In my opinion, getting those kind of people back on their feet is the most fulfilling," she explained. I nodded, understanding where she was coming from.

There was a knock on the door, and the nurse looked at me for permission. "Come in," I called, wincing again at the end of the sentence. The bandages were off, but that meant the worst part was still yet to come. The door swung open to reveal Bon, and I was suddenly very grateful that my brother brought me a pair of sweatpants to wear. The hospital gown was pulled at the way up to my chest and would have revealed everything if it weren't for the pants.

As our eyes met, his face went an interesting shade of red. I spoke before he had a chance to. "It's fine, I don't really care at this point," I said through a sigh.

"Get over here, boy," the nurse said with smirk. "She's going to have to have someone help her change her bandages when she gets out of the hospital." I could see in Bon's eyes that he wasn't exactly sure of what to think of the job that was being thrown at him. After a moment of awkward silence, Bon stepped over and stood at by my side. I was now blushing heavily and didn't want to look anywhere near Bon's face. "Go ahead and sit down there next to her," the nurse instructed, and he did so carefully.